My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Posts - Duplicate Content Penalty

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is duplicate content on the new GMB posts given any type of penalty? For example, if I upload the same post to every business listing on my account, will I be penalized in any way for having the same content across all of my posts?

I couldn't find an answer yet on this topic, despite searching the forums extensively. I would think no, you would certainly not be penalized. However, I'm looking to update 70+ listings with the same post, and I have been wrong before.

I found this form on an answer to another question asking about bulk uploading for posts - 
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EKH1GsxTGcJ_7bYT1DcA6Tbf8tfnVOYA_HAaacuoNxc/viewform?edit_requested...
This leads me to believe that duplicate content will not be penalized for obvious reasons. However, if anyone has a definite answer, that would be awesome!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carter S
July

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There is no penalty for duplicate content anywhere with Google.  Google filters out duplicate content because they don't want their users to get the same information over and over again.  In this case, your locations are all different so they're not going to show anywhere together, so there is nothing to filter.  I know Helmut is asking but I can safely say there is no penalty for posting the same thing on multiple locations.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am getting internal error. I posted similar post for my clients see inside Street View. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Carter S

interesting question and I don't beleive we get an aswer from google soon about it.

Have nevertheless asked them

(for my own reference: will posting same photos in posts - penalized? 

@Massimo D)

please don't hijack other users threads for a different issue as discussed in the thread.

Please start your own thread providing there all information to understand and investigate your issue
This allows us to keep the forum organized and gives you the attention you need. 
This ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-My-Business/ct-p/GMB ) is our top level Community--from there, you can click into the board title that is most applicable for your issue. Once you're in an individual board, you can click on the red/pink + sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Accepted by topic author Carter S
July

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

There is no penalty for duplicate content anywhere with Google.  Google filters out duplicate content because they don't want their users to get the same information over and over again.  In this case, your locations are all different so they're not going to show anywhere together, so there is nothing to filter.  I know Helmut is asking but I can safely say there is no penalty for posting the same thing on multiple locations.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay then to use a blog post that's on my website for a Google post for my biz?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, this is acceptable and wont be penalized in any way. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Using Joy's answer as a springboard could I then assert to franchise clients with hundreds of geographically-dispersed, but similar pages should not worry about "penalties" (e.g. manual actions) resulting from the similarity of their pages.

I see them as:

a) providing a good user experience for local users who only ever see the one page most relevant to them.
b) not attempting to manipulate search results (different pages are for different locations)

Do I have that right?  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Scott, you have that right. The pages won't be penalized if they are even vaguely unique enough. Performance in organic search for the landing pages you are speaking of is a direct indicator of how well page content is optimized for the territory it is representing.  

For example, I work for a company called Passport Health. If you type in Passport Health Scottsdale, the first organic result will likely be our Passport Health Scottsdale listing/page. This is because we have optimized our content well enough for Google to be able to understand what to serve for these specific location based queries. 

Hope this helps. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joy

Do you know if there is software that can allow you to create one post for Google my business and send it to all ten locations? I have 10 branches and have linked all the locations but don't want to have to write out the post ten times. It seems google my business doesn't have this functionality set up ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

No software I have seen for this yet.  Also nothing for the new Q&A feature.

Google wants local owners/managers to do all of this, not a central entity.