My Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Insights Question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello all!

First, thank you for this forum. It's my final stop for answers I can't find using the normal research and I appreciate the opportunity to post very much. 

My question is in reference to something I've seen within the Google My Business Insights. For select clients, the appearance of a spike in Google Plus Page views, followed by an even plateau, and then a subsequent drop to normal levels is puzzling. At first, I thought this was some sort of traffic related to an AdWords campaign, but not all clients exhibiting this pattern run a paid campaign. 

I know this is probably a very common pattern, but if someone could please offer assistance and speculation as to why this pattern occurs it would be most beneficial in explaining these statistics to the client. As always, thank you endlessly for any assistance.  

Timothy E. Roberts

1201 E. Jefferson St, Phoenix AZ 85034

602 416 7784

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111319117547857264233/posts

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Insights Question

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I was not able to upload the image, this is a post with the chart in image format. https://plus.google.com/111319117547857264233/posts/7NPLkSnPvwB
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim R
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Tim R

The spike is from Search and Related to a G+ page.

My best guess for this is when a search term ( could be new ) is triggering the local pack and the business page is now appearing, or even a 1 pack when just your business page appears.

Another one may be a specific event that people search the business name to check address, times or directions. I usually see spike like this ( plateau over the weekend ) when one of my hotel clients have wedding fairs or events.

I had another thought, but this would probably reflect in posts, rather then page.

In this search for example, the Google+ post ( now position 7 ) was originally appearing position 1 before the article was even indexed, so I got a large spike from this.

https://goo.gl/6zYrWS

Insights is a bit of a beast and its all guesswork really. Hopefully they integrate some form of proper / insightful analytics at some point.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Tim!
Thank you so much for your insight, this should give us a direction to look when we encounter this anomaly . I do certainly look forward to the day when they improve this feature, there is a ton of room for it!

Tim

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
My Pleasure.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Tim!
I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but since this is related to Insights, I'll post here first. Can you tell us if all the current Insights data is going to be replaced, or will the new data be provided in addition to the current metrics. We have a real fear that our reporting is about to go out the window. Thank you for any information you can provide sir and please have a good day!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Tim R

I did bring up this question with the Program Managers and to be honest I am not exactly sure.

And i wont know until it rolls out fully. The initial roll out will be improved upon because it is a whole new engine, rather then the existing one and hopefully will improve, like the ability to export the data.

I am also pretty anxious about client reporting, but we will have to see when fully rolled out.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Tim!
As always sir, your responses are invaluable. Knowing that it's new and will be improved on puts us at ease. We look forward to seeing it in action and thank you for everything. Have a great rest of the day sir!

Tim

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.