My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Insights Question - Data in New Dashboard

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have 30+ businesses in our dashboard and each business has large discrepancies in the data. The first set of insights on the info page says one number then when we click through the new circle search graph reflects a different number and then the total views has yet a different number. How do I interpret this data? If I am seeing 55.8k views on and up 5% on my info page why do I click through and see 12,682 total searches and direct but 25.8k total views? These don't add up.

Re: Google Insights Question - Data in New Dashboard

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @April B,

Need not to worry for after my little explanation here, you will have a clear understanding of how it's broken down : ]. Bear with me.

On the initial 'Home' page of the Listing, you will see the top level "Insights' Page whereby you will see the 'Searches', 'Views', and 'Actions' are shown.

Now, we go a layer deeper and click 'View Insights' where we will clear things up for ya.

The first part AKA the 'Wheel', breaks down the first top level number under 'Searches'. The total number of searches does equal the top level 'Searches' number, HOWEVER, it breaks down 'Discovery' and 'Direct' based searches, meaning how many times someone searched a non branded keyword search such as 'mexican restaurants near me' would be a DISCOVERY search and a search such as "Pepe's Mexican Cantina' (the name of the business) would be a DIRECT search. This is a very cool stat for a local business.

Still with me?...Now on to the second part which constitutes the 'Views part'...the TOTAL number of 'Views' correlates with the Top level insights page, HOWEVER, it breaks down how many came from Google search (mobile/desktop browser search) and Google Maps.

On to the third top-level piece...under "Customer Actions'.  This number is correct and correlates to the TOTAL Actions, HOWEVER this part breaks down the actions into what happened as far as Clicks to website, Driving Direction Requests, Calls, and Photo Views.

I hope this helps and feel free to reach out to me if you need any advanced troubleshooting. Good Luck! 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @April B

Just checking in to make sure you're all set! 

Also, I think this link will help you wrap your head around what I described in my post above.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/7069123?hl=en&visit_id=1-636125888909236701-1969103288&rd...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author April B
October 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Eric, thank you for your response. For some reason I did not see the notification of your original response. 

I too understood the data to be interpreted as you noted above. I know quite well the difference between direct and search stats. What I believe the issue was is that the data from the reporting switch had not caught up and that is why I was seeing conflicting numbers on the "home" page insights and the detail wheel. I have now clicked through each of our listings and the data is all in sync now.

I am assuming that the "views" (maps and search) can exceed the "visits" as many visitors will view both the search and the map. Is this a solid assumption?

Thank you for responding, I appreciate the help.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @April B Yes, you are correct...sort of.

Keep in mind, a 'View' from 'Listing on Search' means the user found the listing STARTING on Google search, then clicking on the Map listing results WITHIN the web browser search. SO, what happens here is a double whammy that is throwing you off. Best way to think is where they STARTED is key...

I'm sure if you look at your insights, you'll see the views ('search /'maps') are almost double of the 'direct' and 'discovery' (wheel) data.

A 'listing on Maps' means the user STARTED with the Google Maps app on mobile or desktop search using maps.google.com.

A 'listing on Search' means the user STARTED with Google Search via web browser on mobile or desktop, THEN clicked the Map listing. 

EXAMPLE: I'm on my mobile phone using Safari or Chrome web browser using Google to perform my 'sushi restaurants near me' When search results pop up, a local search will almost always show map listings at the top (below ads), then organic results below the map. This would count as an increase to the wheel in the 'discover' portion and an increase to 'listing on search' AND 'listing on Maps' in the Views for Maps/Search graph.

I hope this makes sense, catch my drift?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for clearing that up. So essentially the impressions for the search results page the map pack listings count as a search and as map view.

Just for curiosity, do you know if the direct search ex. "Sam's Dental Plaza Houston TX" counts as a direct and a map as well?

Thank you again, it absolutely makes sense. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@April B

In that case it would be a +1 to 'views' data points for each of those listings and then the 'actions' would be reported by what happened on each listing, separately.

You'll see in the attached screenshot, Brident Dental & Orthodontics, Castle Dental, and Dental Smiles IV are in the map results for my search. 

The only way to have 'views' or 'actions' data, the Sam's Dental Plaza would need to show up as its own listing. 

Sometimes Google will show businesses within a mall/plaza, this may be helpful for you as well.

Best,

Eric

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@April B

In that case it would be a +1 to 'views' data points for each of those listings and then the 'actions' would be reported by what happened on each listing, separately.

You'll see in the attached screenshot, Brident Dental & Orthodontics, Castle Dental, and Dental Smiles IV are in the map results for my search. 

The only way for Sam's Dental Plaza to have 'views' or 'actions' data, it would need to show up as its own listing. 

Sometimes Google will show businesses within a mall/plaza before it's own listing, which may be helpful for you and the tenants as well.

Best,

Eric

Screenshot 2016-11-01 at 6.57.18 PM.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eric,

I found your response very helpful, however, the case that you described in the post above is the opposite of what I am seeing. The total searches are almost double the number of total views.

Total Searches: 3,190

Total Views: 1.71k (listings on search: 853 and listings on maps: 856)

What would be the scenario for this situation? Just a note: I did check to make sure that my dates lined up.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Amanda 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I wanted to follow up to see if anyone could shed some more light on these Google Insights data points?

Thanks!

Amanda