My Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Google Changing Business Addresses Automatically

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

We have an issue here with all of our Google My Business listings in the Middle East (we have around 20 listings). When we input an address for a listing, Google automatically updates our address within the day or the week to remove pertinent information, such as the level we are located on, or to add information we do not want our users to see, such as a different street name. These changes do not appear in our bulk listed portal as "Updates to Review", they are simply accepted and published. As a result we've had to revert our business name back multiple times, impacting our ranking and Google's level of confidence in us. 

We have found that we are able to see all the changes that Google continuously makes by searching them on Mapmaker and hitting the button "History", which shows us all the changes made. 

We contacted the GMB by calling them multiple times, but never got a conclusive response other than to say that these changes would continue to take place and that this was a developer issue. In order to solve it, we would need to continuously contact Google.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and solved it?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Google Changing Business Addresses Automatically

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Servcorp ME

As @MargaretO suggested.

Also I have seen quite a few queries regarding Middle east addresses in the past weeks, so I am guessing this is an algo that is correcting format issues.

Please see address guidelines:

Address line 1

The precise address for the location. Add any additional useful address information in Address line 2. This includes shopping center names, cross streets, and other non-essential address information. See valid address formats and best practices in our quality guidelines and address guidelines. (Maximum 80 characters)

The problem I have seen, is where people have used :

Building Name, Level 3, Area, Dubai

And the new change, is forcing it to :  Level 3 , Building Name, Area ( sometimes wrong ) , Dubai

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Servcorp

Have you checked around the web for listings of your business, particularly with some of the mis-information Google is inserting? Google may be seeing this info around the web and "automatically updating" the Google listings, with the aim of providing the most likely correct info.
If you correct that information, that will probably slow the Google bots down.
You might also want to consider marking up your location pages with schema, so you're sending a clear signal to Google from your website as to where the locations are.
Is it all locations with the issue, or are there a handful which are a particular problem? If so, can you list them here?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Servcorp ME

As @MargaretO suggested.

Also I have seen quite a few queries regarding Middle east addresses in the past weeks, so I am guessing this is an algo that is correcting format issues.

Please see address guidelines:

Address line 1

The precise address for the location. Add any additional useful address information in Address line 2. This includes shopping center names, cross streets, and other non-essential address information. See valid address formats and best practices in our quality guidelines and address guidelines. (Maximum 80 characters)

The problem I have seen, is where people have used :

Building Name, Level 3, Area, Dubai

And the new change, is forcing it to :  Level 3 , Building Name, Area ( sometimes wrong ) , Dubai

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim.

I have exactly the above described problem:
"Streetname XX, 3. floor, Copenhagen K" turns into "3. floor, Streetname XX, Copenhagen K".

What is the solution to fix this?

Kind regards Anders

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Hiint B

This is the correct address structure for Google business pages.

Check neighboring businesses to see the preferred structure, or leave out 3rd floor and use suite, office.

Building Name, Street Address, Suite 300  etc