My Business
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Does GMB profiles need citations in order to rank ? - Is that a local pack ranking factor ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

We have a number of branches and we have a GMB profile for each branch. Currently we have citations pointing to our branch pages and our branch pages has a link to it's associated GMB profile page and visa versa.

My question is , for some branches we are struggling to rank in the 3 pack even though we have done the usual things you should , content, pictures, description etc etc.

Does anyone know if citations are needed for the GMB profiles as well in order to improve rankings and whether this is a local pack ranking factor ? I know that reviews are but I was wondering about links going to the G+ profiles.

Any other tips/advice on GMB seo would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be much on the internet about it.

thanks
Sarah
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah C
May 2016

Re: Does GMB profiles need citations in order to rank ? - Is that a local pack ranking factor ?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
personally I believe "citations" to improve ranking is a method of the
stone age of the internet.
Actually the ranking algos work much more sophisticated as we can think
about

View solution in original post

Re: Does GMB profiles need citations in order to rank ? - Is that a local pack ranking factor ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
all we can tell you about ranking is what Google tells all users:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks Helmut,

Would you know from your own experience whether citations to gmb profiles have helped at all?

thanks
Sarah
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah C
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
personally I believe "citations" to improve ranking is a method of the
stone age of the internet.
Actually the ranking algos work much more sophisticated as we can think
about

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

No

Any citations should be to that local business landing page on Site, not to the GMB page url.

Most citations allow you to add "social profiles" and this is where you can add your GMB url.

Citations are about consistency in the data you present to Google for it to understand the structure and nature of the business.

There is a correlation between organic positions and 3 pack positions, Concentrate on getting your website positioned and GMB will follow.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

In addition to what Tim and Helmut said, I'll add that as far as citations go, just make sure the Data Aggregators are accurate (InfoUSA, Localeze, Factual, Action).

MozLocal is great service to accomplish this. Especially if you are dealing with multiple locations. 

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Does GMB profiles need citations in order to rank ? - Is that a local pack ranking factor ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. I'm learning I think. How would you recommend I get links of authority. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Rodney A

So here is info about business citations in general : 

http://onlineownership.com/local-business-seo-citations-faqs/

For the US take a look at ( scroll down page )

https://www.brightlocal.com/us-citation-sites/

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership