My Business
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Definition: Catering

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Has Google released a glossary or definition list of the various amenities, dining options, highlights, offerings, payments and planning yet?

I ask because I'm seeing an ever increasing number of restaurants which serve hot food from morning to night as being marked as 'no catering'.  Table service is a different option.

Are people really suggesting you can visit the restaurant for lunch or dinner, someone else will cook your food, and yet it's "no catering'?

Right now I'm treating this updates as incorrect. If a restaurant serves hot food I'd say it is providing a catering service. However, without being aware of any official definition from Google I fear this is speculation. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

We manage many restaurant map listings and Catering (to us at least) is defined as a service that does "off-site" catering like for an event or office party. Some restaurants offer this, some don't. 

For example, McDonald's isn't going to cater your office party and deliver a bunch of hamburgers, but a local sandwich place that offers "Catering" service will bring sandwich platters and sodas to your office.

Re: Definition: Catering

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!

I think that's a very valid definition and one I'd considered.

It makes most sense in the restaurant context but less so in appartments,
hotels, b&bs, hostels, conference venues, galleries, markets, shopping
centres, malls, etc.

You may be right. Feel Goog needs to clarify.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Andrew G

this are my two cents to any kind of request like "Google needs to clarify"

Googles list of categories contains actually about 4.000 categories in English and (guessing it) 50.000 categories in NON English languages.

(there are btw even several English list for US, UK, Australia , India etc.) And they contain for the "same" category different keywords (not for all cats though - but for some)

And this list of cats is subject of a permant updating process.

While doing this is for the cats is already a huge amount of work I guess giving definitions for cats exceeds their possibilities.

And frankly said: I can't agree with you its necassary at all.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not talking about categories Helmut.

I'm talking about the attributes that define the businesses and you're wrong. They are important. There's an attribute that says whether a business is wheelchair accessible or not. It's clearly very important that the definition of wheelchair accessible is understood. 

Google has a few dozen attributes to define businesses. They're letting members of the public assign these to businesses. However, if they're wrong, then it's our businesses that pick up the flack (your Google listing said you were open but you'e not!) or, worse, legal trouble (your Google listing reassured us the food was halal but it wasn't!).

Google does need to tell us what these attributes mean.