My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Categories Changed by Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello:
Google changed the primary and secondary categories of one of our locations. The change is wrong. What could have caused this?

One of our many Distribution Center (P) and Warehouse (S) was changed to Oil Change Service. It's not. I changed it back but wonder what caused this. We have many locations in North America and I'm concerned they may also get changed. 

Thank you,

Nick

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ed N
February 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

A common issue. This is flagged by Google when they see conflicting data across all their sources. Some but not all of these suggestions can come from data aggregators Google licenses to indirectly source location information, Google user suggestions and what's being said about your business online (on your site and elsewhere).

Over time, as you keep reverting the changes back, the algo should learn not to flag and change data but it requires ongoing effort and a change on Google's side can trigger immediate changes sending you backwards. For example, in the past we've had issues with client's locations being suddenly flagged as closed on a weekend which we had to scramble to investigate and rectify. 

I took a brief look at your brand's website - looks like your distribution channels are independent retailers/service providers who act as dealers or stockists of your product and your own retail stores (or do you own any?). Accurate? Are you trying to manage all those dealers in one GMB account? Do those dealers have their own listings for their own business too? If so, watch out for duplicate flags and ownership conflicts. You should also appropriately designate those dealers who do not have brick and mortar locations consumers can travel to as service area businesses so you're not directing folks to their personal home address (unless they operate a workshop in the backyard!).

Example: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ams+oil&rflfq=1&rlha=0&...

To work through Google's suggestions, you can manage them natively in GMB. Best practice is to 100% stay on top of these and log back into GMB regularly to clear them out. Not sure if all suggestions and data updates GMB makes can be worked through at bulk natively but there are a small number of 3rd party tools enable you to do that + review management + reporting en masse. 

Hope this is helpful!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ed N
February 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

A common issue. This is flagged by Google when they see conflicting data across all their sources. Some but not all of these suggestions can come from data aggregators Google licenses to indirectly source location information, Google user suggestions and what's being said about your business online (on your site and elsewhere).

Over time, as you keep reverting the changes back, the algo should learn not to flag and change data but it requires ongoing effort and a change on Google's side can trigger immediate changes sending you backwards. For example, in the past we've had issues with client's locations being suddenly flagged as closed on a weekend which we had to scramble to investigate and rectify. 

I took a brief look at your brand's website - looks like your distribution channels are independent retailers/service providers who act as dealers or stockists of your product and your own retail stores (or do you own any?). Accurate? Are you trying to manage all those dealers in one GMB account? Do those dealers have their own listings for their own business too? If so, watch out for duplicate flags and ownership conflicts. You should also appropriately designate those dealers who do not have brick and mortar locations consumers can travel to as service area businesses so you're not directing folks to their personal home address (unless they operate a workshop in the backyard!).

Example: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ams+oil&rflfq=1&rlha=0&...

To work through Google's suggestions, you can manage them natively in GMB. Best practice is to 100% stay on top of these and log back into GMB regularly to clear them out. Not sure if all suggestions and data updates GMB makes can be worked through at bulk natively but there are a small number of 3rd party tools enable you to do that + review management + reporting en masse. 

Hope this is helpful!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Eoghan. Your suggestion is helpful. I'll keep checking daily. I'll also check how we're listed in other services.

Your description of our distribution channels is accurate. AMSOIL has over 50,000 retailers, independent dealers, distribution centers and mechanics in North America.

We have a bigger problem. Your link shows Google already changed independent AMSOIL dealers into Oil Change Services. They aren't. One is incorrectly listed as an Auto Parts Store. I control the properties AMSOIL physically owns in our GMB account. But relying on tens of thousands to manage their GMB profiles will be tough. This will be difficult.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Nick, 

Yes, you should absolutely watch what your website, Yelp, other auto sites, Facebook, Foursquare and others are saying about your locations. Think of it as an ecosystem you're trying to present your brand across in as clean, consistent and actively managed way as possible.

There is a way to bulk manage your thousands of locations (corporate owned or dealer network members) across GMB, native and using 3rd parties. Once you know how to use the tools or leverage some of the services, a lot of the management woes can be alleviated and more importantly, ranking along with web, phone and foot traffic will improve.

Good luck!

Re: Categories Changed by Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently noticed that my business information which classified me as an Optician before, now says I am an Optometrist shop.  My dispensary does NOT have an Optometrist.   When I went to edit back, Optician is no longer an option and no other category matches or comes close to what we do. Opticians and Optometrists in Canada are both licensed and regulated professions,....different professions, and they both can operate independently (not always the case in the USA).  By removing the category, and changing it, you have put me into violation of title use.  I need to speak to someone so they can fully understand the issue.  I am frustrated by the extreme difficulty you present me because there is absolutely NO WAY to contact you.  This is somewhat urgent.  In addition the supposed way to contact you according to your "expert", DOES NOT EXIST.   PLEASE HELP.  I DON't want to be disciplined through no fault of my own.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@heather p

Its replicable for me.

Wondering especially as "Optician" is still listed as avaiable category for Canada via https://pleper.com/index.php?do=tools&sdo=gmb_categories

And  as there are  other "Opticians" areshown up: "Opticianado Eyewear" at "2919 Dundas Street West in Toronto"  https://goo.gl/maps/AZCyHQqhCEv
And (next point)  "Optician" is availiable even as possibl category for community edits on GMaps (even if tunneled via VPN to Canada)

Sounds like a bug and I would  like  escalating it as a bug to Google

To do this I need soon your details:

1. Business Name
2. Business Address
3. Business Phone number
4. Maps URL
5. Website

Once I have that information, ​I​'ll do my best to help. 
Thanks!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Attention: Please make sure to mention me by adding @[myname] to your responses. Otherwise the notification might not make it and your thread will go unseen.