My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Agencies and businesses with many locations: start here.
Guide Me
star_border

Agency with Multiple Businesses

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

This question was originally posted on the former Help Forum but has been modified for clarity and answered by Community Users Helmut G and Linda Buquet .

I work for an agency managing multiple Google+ pages for different businesses. Is the best way to manage these pages to create one google email address and claim ownership of them all and manage them through that one email address? I understand that verification will be done through a phone call or post card to each business but in order to avoid having a different gmail to keep up with for each business - is it okay to set them all up using one gmail account? 

Answer provided by Helmut G: For an agency or any kind of service provider managing many different businesses is the best practice IMHO to manage each business in a separate account.

This prevents you (and your clients) from losing your business in case the according account gets lost or damanged or suspended.We have seen such cases here in the forum.

Answer provided by Linda Buquet: I strongly agree with Helmut G. Best practice for consultant's/agencies is separate accounts. We've had lots of cases of consultants coming here that have 20 or 200 clients. Their account gets suspended, then ALL their clients get suspended. 

This typically happens because if they didn't know enough to set them up in separate accounts - then they usually also don't know about all the potential violations and problems and even unwritten rules that can get you in trouble. All it takes is a couple violations on a couple different listings and Google will sometimes suspend the entire account. Then even all the innocent clients that didn't have any problems with their listings get punished too. 

I know of consultants this happened to and caused major problems for their business, lots of upset customers and TONS of man hours to recreate all the listings and get everyone back up.

Hope this proactive warning helps and best of luck! 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Marissa Nordahl, Community Manager, Google My Business
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Follow us on GMB on Social: Facebook | Twitter
4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Agency with Multiple Businesses

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks for posting this helpful information!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks for posting this helpful information!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
So, the best practice would be to use the client's google account or create a new google account and then create or claim a google my business account?

The problem with using the client's google account is that it will make the process more dependent on the client participation to the point that almost vanish the value of the service being provided. And the problem of opening new google accounts is to verify them with mobile phone numbers.

The address or phone verification to claim a Google My Business account will surely needs the client participation. But the need to have a single google account associated with each google my business account is challenging to agencies / service providers.

So, whats the best practice for agencies, in terms of ownership of google accounts, to manage multiple google my business accounts?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Leonardo, in addition to Linda and Helmut's great advice, I will offer a strategy that I use at the agency I work for. We use a master GMB account and our clients add us as a manager.

If our clients don't have their listing claimed we walk them through that process first.

The only real downside to being a page manager instead of an owner is that you don't receive notifications when customers leave a new review.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Colan, thank you for sharing your process. But we would like to offer a frictionless service to our clients in registering their business on Google. Walking them through the process of claiming their profile is too time consuming. I hope someone else have a better workaround idea to solve this problem.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Helmut and Linda,

If an agency adds or claims a business account on behalf it's client and then invite the client to be a manager, and then transferring ownership of the business account to the client, would this process avoid this "all at once" penalization risk?

The agency could later become just a manager of the account, leaving the client as the owner.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Leonardo, that could work, yes. However, from my experience managing hundreds of GMB accounts over the years, the client needs to be involved for it to be successful. Even once you get past the verification process, the client needs to put in effort to execute a review strategy, for example.

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Colan,

We use three separate master accounts to handle all of our clients for GMB, a MCC account for adwords, and a master account for GA. In the GMB homepage it has insights, reviews, Google+, GA, and adwords express. Is there a way tie GA and GMB in our GMB account?

When the master GMB account gets added as manager to a client's site, I then add the master GA account as a manager, but I can only see GA metrics in the GA master account or the owner account. Is there a better way to configure? Should we be using one master account for all three: GA, GMB, and adwords?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Tim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey there people :)

From my own experience I have found managing GMB Pages from a master agency account to be much more efficient and 'value added' for the client. At the end of the day we are said to be the experts and so providing a seamless management experience really helps clients to get on with what matters most to them and that is - running their day to day businesses.

When the alternative route was used (their own accounts) it invariably resulted in delays and harder to manage/develop content scenarios. Often clients were just too busy to even consider any kind of Google related verification emails or update notifications to then act upon.

IMHO there should not be a situation where an account gets suspended when best practices for page/account management are followed for all clients by an agency. If anything having that one place (Master Google account) from where everything can be managed will (and does) save a huge amount of time. We work extensively in SEO and Citation building for clients and so deal with various situations where we need to create accounts on numerous platforms for trusted directories for instance and so if only they (Yelp/YP etc etc) would also offer up the convenience of agency style master accounts too - our lives would be super awesome :)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,
My travel business. So I want to update business location add in google business Page but our office in india (many cities).
I want to show our address in google map.
how it possible. please suggest ..

Thanks