AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

user error, overspend, heart attack, refund?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So somebody decided to take some ppc advice in the form of 'how you dramatically increase your clicks' and Switched from Search Network only to Search Network with Display, after the initial Search Network yielded little. Somebody forgot to set a max cpc and some of our clicks got expensive and before you know it 4k had been spent and no conversions. The campaign was stopped immediately at this point. Do we have a case here to get a reimbursement based on a simple oversight, or perhaps a credit against future account spend? This is a startup that plans to spend a LOT in PPC, not sure if this improves our case. 

Calling all Negotiators!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: user error, overspend, heart attack, refund?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi

If this was because you forgot to set daily budget in the account I don't think you can ask for a refund. But If you want you can discuss with a google account rep using this link https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Well... Once "somebody" made the switch - did he also increase the daily budget?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply Moshe.

The answer is No, there was no daily budget increase when we made the switch. Do you think this improves my case when I discuss it with Adwords support?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If So, the case is not clear:

How come if there was no increase in daily budget, and  yet, the system over-spent the limit  set which is   calculated as 30.4*daily budget.  Though the daily budget could fluctuate  within 20% (roughly), the system will not exceed the monthly limit. 

(PS: if daily budget changes over the course of the month, the above  formula is recalculated, but this is not the our case.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I didn't say that the daily budget was exceeded. But I just checked that now and, on average, the daily budget is exceeded by 15% every day the campaign ran. Which means it exceeded the 30.4*daily budget you cited. Does this mean they will refund the portion that exceeded daily budget?

In the bigger picture, there was a user error. They were accustomed to spending $30 per day then changed a setting change and spent $300 per day and didn't monitor spend. It was absolutely the responsibility of the user but my question is whether Google will give the benefit of the doubt and reimburse or credit this 'accidental' spend.

Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Since the daily budget was changed to 300$, all clicks accrued must be paid. Google will not refund.

(In other words; I haven't seen a credit / reimbursement    for "overspent",  in cases in which the budget was incorrectly set.)

I understand that you are a small business/ startup,  and "every dollar counts", But, I don't think  this is  a  case in which Google would agree to waive a payment.

Sorry

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Moshe.

I have pleaded my case by mail with Adwords support and will report back with the outcome.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi John, sorry to say this but I would be completely stunned if Google offered any form of reimbursement.  This isn't because they're mean, but because to do so would open the floodgates for "accidental" advertising.

Bear in mind that though you saw no conversions, you did receive $4k's worth of advertising and no company is going to offer refunds simply because it didn't work.  I'm 100% sure this was an error in this case, but I'm also sure you'll understand that the unscrupulous out there would use this claim all the time if it produced results.

In the case of the increase from $30 to $300, AdWords does prompt a warning when daily budget increases substantially and requires that the user double-confirm the change.  I'm not certain what the limits are that cause this message but I recently changed a budget from $25 to $180 and received it then so I'd expect it to happen from $30 to $300.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Great, please update when Google replies. I would be interesting to know the outcome.