AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

loosing money on clicks not directly linked to my service

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am becoming more and more disappointed with google adwords. Even thought I have followed great advice in this forum, I keep getting clicks from people who search for keywords which have nothing to do with the service I offer (sometimes it is only the place the with matches my keyword). Is this a general problem of adwords or am I still getting things not right?

I am paying out lots of money for clicks from people who do not search for my product. When I found out about the the voucher codes for new advertisments (£75) I came too late.

Is there anybody who can help me with advice how to safe money without giving up on the idea on advertising via adwords?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: loosing money on clicks not directly linked to my service

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Elisabeth A can you give us some more details of the sort of campaign you're running?

What's your service?  Are you using Search or the Display network?  What sort of match type are you using for your Keywords?

Can you give us an example of a Keyword and a search term it matched that you feel is not relevant?

A well configured Account should really have a minimum of irrelevant searches triggering Ads and causing clicks and most of the time there are simple things that can be done to improve the situation.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,
Thanks for your reply. Well, it is a counselling service. However, recently, people were looking or a random name and the place from which I am working, and had my advert visible, too (and annoyingly clicked on it).
I have excluded many words and most of the searches nowadays are linked to my service. But every now and again, people search for specific names of counsellors (or councillors in the area) and the name of the place and my advert appears, too. However, the word counsellor or counselling is not part of their search.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Elisabeth A are you using simple Broad Match Keywords?  It sounds like you may be getting a lot of session-based clicks; this is where your Ad is shown on the basis of earlier searches rather than the specific one in which the Ad appears.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your mail. Your explanation sounds interesting. How can it happen that my ad appears on the basis of earlier searches? Could you explain a bit more?

Kind regards,
Elisabeth