AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

i have an old credit on my account, but adwords wants a payment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have about $90 in ad credit on my adwords account left over from about 3 years ago. I wanted to startup a new campaign and it is asking for a payment to be made. I did add my CC info to the billing info, but since I have a credit, i would rather not make apayment. Plus, I wouldnt even know how much of a payment to make.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: i have an old credit on my account, but adwords wants a payment

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Jamison,

It depends on how you set up billing. Usually by default. Google will charge your card an amount equal to and average amount of your spend. If your spend is low, they would automatically bill you when you balance drops below a threshold of your average spend.

So basically, you have a Credit of $90 now and will not be charged again until that balance drops. Your billing tab will tell you the average amount to be re-billed based on your spend for click patterns.

Advertisers who are on this payment method are generally charged according to our “threshold” system or their thirty-day Billing cycle, whichever comes first. The thirty-day billing cycle for each account starts from the day ad serving starts from your account. According to this cycle, the form of payment on file in an AdWords account is charged every thirty days.

You are probably wondering what the term “threshold” implies.

A threshold is basically a level of spending from an AdWords account, beyond which our system is triggered to charge the form of payment on file in the account. By default, the initial threshold in an AdWords account is set to US$50 or its equivalent in another currency.  When your account hits this amount in advertising charges, our system is prompted to charge the form of payment on file, provided that this occurs before the end of the thirty-day billing cycle.

Once the advertising charges hit the initial threshold amount, the threshold is raised by US$150 to US$ 200. The same procedure repeats for the next threshold and after this, the threshold amount is increased to $350 and finally to $500, which is the final threshold. Beyond this, even if your advertising charges hits $500 before the thirty day billing cycle ends, the threshold is not increased.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the thoughtful response. Unfortunately - I can't even start my campaign (and begin using the credit) becasue it is looking for a payment, even though there is a $90+ credit on the account. In plain terms, it is like the account is locked until payment, but I have no idea what kind of payment to make as there is a credit. Ideas?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Jamison,

I believe it is looking for "Payment information", not to bill your card immediately. Since you have a credit of $90 you will not be billed again until that credit drops below the $50 threshold...

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Jamison,

It could be the age of your account that is causing an issue. The minimum payment you can make on AdWords is $10. Could you try making a payment for $10? It would then bring your credit balance to $96, and should hopefully trigger your ads to go back online. 

I hope this helps!