AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

how do i change my daily payment limit for an ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i set my daily ad limit to 4.?? dollars and two ad clicks used it up. that means my ad isnt showing any more. how can i raise my limit? and why are the clicks so expensive?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author vp119
September 2015

Re: how do i change my daily payment limit for an ad

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi - you can set your daily limit at the camapign level - just click on the amount, edit & save.

The cost per click is determined by the level of competition there is for the keyword (that's oversimplistic - but it's as good a starting point as any). If your competitors are prepared to pay more for their ads to appear, then you have to do the same.

The complication comes into play with the Quality Scores - essentially, the money you bid is "worth" more or less depening on your keyword's quality score. To check your quality scores go into the keywords tab and then customize columns and add the quality score column.

As a rough explanation (and this is so you get an idea - it's not an exact or even close formula) if you bid $2 on a keyword that has a QS of 4 your bid is "worth" $8. Your competitor bids $1.50 on the same keyword, but they have a QS of 8, their bid is "worth" $12... this is a factor Google uses to reward relevance in the keywords.

The more relevant your keyword is to your landing page and website, the higher the QS. How do Google measure it? No-one really knows, but the presence of the keyword in your ad, the page title, meta description, headlines and body copy all contribute, as does (and in a fairly significant way) the historical CTR of the keyword and the bounce rate for visitors on the page.

When you start from the assumption that Google want their users to find what they are searching for, this all makes sense.... once you understand that, you are truly on the journey....

And... by the way - there is no such thing as an expensive bid - there are expensive conversions. You would happily pay $100 for a click if you knew that each webiste visit was worth an average of $150 profit to you. The only clicks that can be classed as expensive are those that do not generate conversions - and it doesn't matter how much they cost, they are expensive because they are a waste of money.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks for the examples and explanation, first time using adwords and you just made it simpler!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Glad to hear it - best of luck!