AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

You better check your clicks!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I keep close tabs on who is on my site via adwords analytics. When I noticed numerous cities outside my target area on my analytics map I called adwords.

I've had several calls with them over the last 4 years about this issue and I am told again and again, "Your ads are not showing up outside your targeted areas and you are not being charged for "organic" clicks on your site." 

Because adwords was going through my budget so quickly and I wasn't getting calls like I should, I decided to look into the "click charges" myself. Tech support at adwords showed me how to look these charges up (via email). When I sat down and pulled up these charges I found hundreds of charges outside my area.

You should know...I must travel to my clients. If someone clicks on my ad and I am 80 miles away from them they are not going to call because I would be "geographically undesirable." Therefore, if my ad is showing up so far away from me it is a waste of my money.

I've called a dozen times and I can't get a supervisor on the phone. One "senior" called me back. He was rude, defensive and more or less refused to help me. They tell me they don't have supervisors and they will only deal with me via email.

I'm currently corresponding with another "senior" who insists my clicks are valid. She says I changed my setting on 07/26/12 to all of Los Angeles. (Prior to this I had very specific cities that was willing to work.)

I explained to her that first of all that was 3 weeks ago. (that I changed my target to all of Los Angeles) and that All of these clicks (hundreds) did NOT happen in the last 3 weeks!!! Also, San Diego and the surrounding cities are NOT part of Los Angeles, yet she won't respond to that. When I point out that there are 60 plus cities outside my targeted area she won't respond. 

They are Stone walling me. They avoid direct questions and instead answer with statements not related to my questions. They refuse to get on the phone and discuss any of this or try to explain the charges. You'd think that if these were legitimate charges and I am simply confused they would get on the phone and explain the charges, but instead they send blanket statements that make no sense, nor do they answer my specific questions.

Below I have attached a screen shot of my target area as well as the charges I am disputing. At a quick glance you can see Compton is not part of my target area or Downey, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita and so on. But, you can also see that they have charged me for these areas. Yet, they refuse to address this! Don't you find that suspicious? I do!

I appreciate any help you can give me on this issue. Like I said, I'm a teeny company and I'm not big money, but I am certain if they are doing this to me they are doing it to everyone. Perhaps, Google Adwords is finding another way to take money from unsuspecting customers? I wouldn't be surprised if another class action suit is potentially in their future?

I'm talking with a class action attorney if anyone else is having this problem!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords is stealing from me! Are they stealing from YOU? You better check your clicks!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I have notified the Community Managers of your post. 

Please wait for a response from one of them as it appears there is not much any of us can do for you and your account specific issue.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: You better check your clicks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Tom! I'm at my wits end because I am getting STONE WALLED and more or less IGNORED from everyone at Adwords.

It just doesn't make sense - If I am in some way misunderstanding these out of my target area charges, you would they would take the time to explain it to me and walk me through it over the phone. But they won't!

They send blanket statements that do not address the questions I ask. Its concerning and....

I find it suspicious. You might want to check your account!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi mylaorganizer;

Are you sure that your Geo-targeting settings are properly set?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, I went over it a dozen times. The clicks I was charged for are way outside my target area.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Could you  share with us a screenshot of the  campaign's Geo-settings ? (please mask all IDs)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I don't know how to do that?

Adwords sent a screen shot of target settings yesterday, but I don't know how to aatch it to this.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I figured it out.

Do you see Simi Valley on the map? I was charged for that...

Do you see Compton? I was charged for that....

Santa Clarita, Oxnard, Huntington Beach, Anaheim, and many (about 60) more outside this target map.

How do you explain that?

They said I changed my map on July 26. Well, I did I made the area bigger to include Los Angeles. This is my map from july 26 til last night where I changed it again. I took out Los Angeles and focused only on specific areas with in Los Angeles.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 10
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi mylaorganizer,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've passed your case to the senior AdWords Representative who will look investigate your account and will try to help you.

Please keep up updated on the progress.

Thanks,
Zee
G+