AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Why did I get billed for 361 clicks when my server reports only 113 clicks on my web site

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a AUD50 daily limit on my campaign. It clocked up AUD 72.74 in less than an hour, charging for 361 clicks.
My server reports every click to the site real time. All gclid's, originating IP addresses and some more details are logged. The server reports only 113 clicks from 100 unique visitors with a "?gclid=..." query, and the total number of clicks for the last 24 hours is only 320 from 171 unique visitors.
How is it possible that more clicks are registered by Google than what actually hit the site?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Why did I get billed for 361 clicks when my server reports only 113 clicks on my web site

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Media A

This is a great article to begin to understand and possibly diagnose/report the discrepancies. 

From experience, the most common answer to this question is that users can click AdWords ads more than once when shopping around and bouncing between different search results. AdWords will charge you twice for the same user clicking twice in this situation. 

Have a read through that document. Any questions, let me know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response!

It still does not add up.  My server logs every single click separately, and the report groups them by IP address, so I know the total number of clicks, and the number of unique visitors too.  I can also monitor the origin of the clicks. Clicks through Adwords always have a "/?gclid=" query element in the URL that my server is asked to present.

If a person clicks on the same ad twice, it will register as two clicks at my end.

Interestingly, less than 10 minutes after I posted my message the 361 clicks on the Adwords dashboard went down to 277 and the cost went down from AUD 72.74 to AUD 56.22.

277 is still more than twice the number of the real clicks that came through to the server.  Something is wrong.  I wonder how many advertisers have the facilities to double check these numbers.  I find this an abuse of trust because unless you own and operate your server the chance of finding this out is minuscule.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The case is not closed, anyone at Google, respond please!