AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Why are Old Customers Penalised?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems a ripoff to me. To attract new customers Google offers promotional coupons. If, like me, you're an existing customer who has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on Google adverts then we get nothing.

Seems like they don't care once you are in.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why are Old Customers Penalised?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

It's no different than any other business that offers a "new customer discount" to incent new people to try a product or service.

The theory is that if you're already a customer, what you're getting should be "reward" enough. In the case of Google's AdWords, that would be whatever results you're getting from your advertising.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I don't know what line of business you are in, Jim - but you probably offer some sugar for new customers - whether this is clearly stated, or just part of the sales pitch - we all do.

And, to be brutally honest, if you have been advertising for some time and spending thousands, you should be way ahead of any new kid on the block given that you will have been able to optimize based on your results.

You also probably benefitted from a coupon when you started off advertising - so why should someone else not get the same breaks?

And there's one last comment - until relatively recently coupons were available to almost anyone and you didn't have to make any kind of investment yourself - many people were running "businesses" by opening an Adwords account - using up a coupon and then opening another - running the whole thing on Google's dime... at least now new advertisers have to make some kind of investment to get their credit - here in Europe Google are giving 75€ when you spend 25€... this is unworkable for the scam artists - they cannot make the numbers work if they have to spend anything - so at least that level of competition has gone.

sorry - this turned into a bit of a rant.....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, but for example, when I started using my new web hosting provider, the hosting came with a number of adwords credits, which I couldn't use, because I was already a customer, even though I hadn't yet run a campaign. I felt a little robbed myself, and I am technically a new customer.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Coupons can be applied during the first two weeks of a new account being set up... some of us - myself included, feel that the clock should start ticking once you take the first campaign live. or add your billing information... however, if you have not done anything with your account you can always start a new account. be certain that you have not actually done anything with the first account so you do not raise any double serving issues - even if the first account is not running any ads.

I have been approached on occasions by clients who looked at AdWords and decided it was more complex than they had expected - although they had spent more than 2 weeks to reach that conclusion and as such were unable to use any coupons they - or I - had. In these circumstances we have set up a a new account - and with a little extra work, they can still use the email address they were planning to use - unlink that address from the first account using a new admin user, and then cancel the original account.

Catherine, in your case, if you were alreay a customer, then presumably the two weeks had passed and you were advertising - if you didn't manage to apply your coupons before the two weeks limit, that'sa not really Adwords fault - but perhaps, rather the hosting probvider who should have made it clear that there was a two week limit on the accounts.

The problem is that the coupons themselves - if they are printed coupons - have an expiry date - well into the future, which does suggest that they are going to be good during that period - not actually the case - they can be applied any time during their valid period, but only to new accounts less than 2 weeks old.

In truth - and you may not agree - but a $75 coupon isn't actually going to make or break a business - especially in the case of the OP who is spending thousands... I like free money just as much as the next guy, but you know what I mean....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think it matters. I'm not sure about your business, but in mine, what
people think of you matters. If they feel they've been cheated in any way,
even if they're not being cheated out of a lot of money, they're likely to
go somewhere else with their business. Google advertising was a
hit-or-miss idea for us: we can't really see the results so it's less
likely to be approved by my board. We ended up just going with facebook
advertising to see if it would really make a difference to our overall
sales....it hasn't yet, so we'll see what happens with google I guess !

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
So... exactly who do you feel cheated by? Google issues coupons - there was no cheating going on there. The amounts offered are totally valid. Your hosting provider issued you with these coupons - again totally valid.

In the terms and conditions of the coupons it is stated very clearly that these coupons are only valid for new accounts during the first 15 days... now, if you didn't take advantage of the coupons within the timeframe, who cheated you exactly?

Of course it matters what people think of you in business... but in this particular situation, what can Google do that would improve the situation. If anyone is to blame it is, perhaps the hosting company that issued the coupons and didn't fully explain the conditions or, with all due respect, you, for not reading the conditions.

If you get a coupon for a free bottle of wine with a dinner for four in your mailbox, and you go for dinner with two friends you cannot expect to get the free bottle of wine. Is that the restaurant's fault, did they cheat you somehow? We do need to put things into perspective.

And I was not being flippant about the loss of $75 to a company spending thousands, I'm just pointing out this is is not, in truth, going to determine the success or failure of an AdWords campaign, or the wider business.

Furthermore, I would be concerned by your comments that "Google advertising was a
hit-or-miss idea for us: we can't really see the results". It should not be. You should try and have clear goals and conversions - even micro-conversions - in place to monitor the performance of your campaigns. You say you cannot see results, but you can... maybe you have nothing to sell, maybe there is no download to track, but there are still other engagement factors - people call you, you can implement call tracking, people complete a contact form or email you, you can track this. At worst you can track how long visitors spend on your site and how long they spend on the site - all of these indicators can be used to optimize your campaigns to make your spend more effective...