AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Why I charged more than my set budget ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Today I run my very first campaign. Its " Fall Winter 2016 " with two ad groups that are ; "Winter Hoodies for Women " and " Winter Hoodies for Men ".

I set the budget Rs 1750 that is $16.70. 

The Max CPM for each Ad group was Rs 875 that is $8.35.

As soon as one of the ad group got approved it started running and exceed my defined budget by reaching 178 clicks charging Rs 2, 047 ($19.53) within just 30mins.

Unfortunately, I have to pause the campaign.

Can anyone in the community assist me where I went wrong due to which I'm over-charged ?

Another query, do Google campaign with Display Network Only allow options to target specific keywords and inserting websites where we like to display our ad image ?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Re: Why I charged more than my set budget ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hamza,

It's possible for your daily budget to be exceeded by up to 20% on a single day, but you won't be charged more than your average daily budget multiplied by the average number of days in a month (30.4). This means that today the system has chosen to overspend but tomorrow it might underspend to balance things out for example; or if not tomorrow, it will balance itself out over a course of 30.4 days. There's more information on that here.

In regards to your other query, yes, you can target both keywords and / or websites (known as placements) for a Display Network only campaign. There is information here but feel free to keep asking questions on it! Smiley Happy

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Hamza S,

In addition of the above reply, first I suggest you to change your biddig method. As you said, you are using CPM biddig. I would suggest to change it  manual cpc biddig. 

CPM bidding is good for branding, where you to want to reach the maximum audience in high budget campaign, but here you said, you want clicks, so change it to manual cpc.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2459326?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

@ScottyD hit the nail on the head. Smiley Happy Especially given the fact that you are bidding over 50% of your daily budget. Even if you are using CPM bidding, you are still charged per click. Two clicks and you're over budget one day. One click the next day and you are under budget for two days. Three clicks the third day and you may be right on average.

That's why you always want to begin with a daily budget you can afford to experiment with over the course of at least 90 days.

Tom