AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Whose credit card should I use? The agency's or the client's?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am preparing to set up my first client's account in my client center.  Do you recommend that I use our agency's credit card and bill the client?  Or should we set the Adwords account up using the client's credit card, and just bill them for our management fee? What is the best practice?  Thanks,  Kit

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Whose credit card should I use? The agency's or the client's?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi kitmullins,

Welcome to the AdWords community :-)

Personally I've always created customer their own AdWords account and used their billing details. I always charge separately for management and setup costs. I find it makes it much easier for everyone to know what they are paying. Their marketing budget goes to Google, the fee's go to you.

Also, from a business point of view, If the customer stops paying invoices (for whatever reason) you're left to fork out the costs of their marketing budget until you recover the debt. If it's a heavy spend like 5/10k a month you could take a bit of a blow....

That's how I've always done it, but it's entirely upto you :-)

Hope that helps

Spike

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

hi kitmullins,

I'm with Spike on this one. We manage a lot of client accounts and some will have payment problems at certain times. It's better that they are financially responsible for their own ad spend.

If you take responsibility and then the client doesn't pay you, you are the one having to pay the bill and it could cause some problems for you.

If you do decide to use your agency card, it makes sense to pre bill the client and use manual payments so you can't go too far wrong. It does create a bit more admin work but you would be better protected in case of non payment.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello kitmullins, welcome to AdWords;

1. I would not recommend to use your agency's credit card. If a Policy violation is found on the client's account, this might associate your agency with a Policy violation. (I trust that you would check Policy compliance, and this is uncommon, but could happen).
  2. There are also some financial / accounting issues involved that should be considered: inflating revenues by moneys wired between the client and the agency, without collecting fees. However, that is an accounting issue, that should be considered by the Agency's account.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

I am agree with above, Please use client's credit card! We have seen many thread related to suspension coz of billing and credit card issues. It's better not to take risk on yourself left it for client. Smiley Happy

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Client's account = Client's card. 

Don't take any unnecessary risks.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I would definitely recommend using your clients card and then simply bill them for your service. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Kitmullins

If you still plan to use your agency's credit card after all the advices you got from my comrades, to pay your client's advertisement costs, do let me know...I have some real "awesome" business references for youSmiley Happy

Please,never do this!