AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

What's the average cost per click in CPC

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there some ballpark number that other users use for their max cost per click

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What's the average cost per click in CPC

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Deacon Robin W,

The average amount that you've been charged for a click on your ad. Average cost-per-click (avg. CPC) is calculated by dividing the total cost of your clicks by the total number of clicks.

• Your average CPC is based on your actual cost-per-click (actual CPC), which is the actual amount you're charged for a click on your ad. Note that your average CPC might be different than your maximum cost-per-click (max. CPC), which is the highest amount that you're willing to pay for a click.
  • Here's an example of how to calculate your average CPC. Let's say your ad gets two clicks, one costing $0.20 and one costing $0.40, for a total cost is $0.60. You'd divide $0.60 (your total cost) by 2 (your total number of clicks) to get an average CPC of $0.30.
  • You can find your average CPC amounts in the "Avg. CPC" column on your Campaigns tab.
  • Just getting started and want to get an idea of the average amount you might be charged for a click? You can use Keyword Planner to get estimated average CPC amounts for your Search Network campaigns.

As for the maximum CPC, I like to set it for either first page placement or first position placement. This cost is going to vary for all of us as it would be dependent upon your local search users, competitors, industries, quality score, ads, landing pages, and more.  

Kind Regards,

James

What's the average cost per click in CPC

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Deacon,

CPC varies greatly between countries and industries. Lawyers can pay $50+ per click, whereas fashion retailers can pay less than $1. 

For keywords that have healthy competition, the average CPC is roughly what a visitor is worth in your industry/niche. So, for your website, work the most you are willing to pay for a visitor. That's your starting point. How it actually works out depends on how well your ads/site compare with those of your competitors.

If you have a high-quality site, price competitive product or service, and well-written ads - you can expect to get visitors for cheaper than what they are worth to you.

If your site is hard to navigate, with poor calls-to-action and above-average prices - even with great ads you will struggle to succeed with AdWords.