AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Video campaign Daily Budget set at £2, Total cost £186 !?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, 

i almost had a heart attack when i opened my adwords profile to see if my add was active, to find that it had been active for the past 22 hours, When i created the campaign, i intended on advertising a video. On the initial campaign creator, i set the max Budget to £2.00 (£25 over a 14 day campaign).

I Then decided, as i had redeemed £75 in credits, to experiment, so i increased the budget slightly (to £4.00, (this was before the huge spike in "Total Cost".)

So far, for August 19th, i have been billed £3.71 Which was under the new daily budget i had set. So fair enough. I Then reset my budget back to £2.00, i wanted to see if it affected the views as up until then i hadn't really seen much activity.

Upon checking at 1am (on the 20th), There had been a huge spike in the "Total Cost" Column which was showing a total cost of 

£185.84

Upon seeing this i was shocked as to how it could have gotten so high, i made sure never to set the budget to anything unreasonable outside of the range of the credits i had (£75 + the initial £25 i added to activate the credits).

I Plan on using adwords in the future, and wanted to test out the system before hand, I Am dumbstruck as to why this has happened, i made sure to read through the docs which stated that I cannot be charged more than the campaign total, and i may be charged up to 20% more than the daily budget as some days are more worthwhile to advertise on.

I certainly am not in any position to be able to handle such an issue.. Please can someone tell me what's going on? I've seen some posts on here of similar occurences but never seemed to get a resolution which will make me feel at ease.
I want to continue running my campaign, however i am scared to, incase i get charged an extortionate amount of money.

Thanks,
Michael.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike J
September 2015

Re: Video campaign Daily Budget set at £2, Total cost £186 !?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, welcome to the Community.

This appears to be a common problem with YouTube Ads where the reported cost is far in excess of the daily budget.  Rest assured that in all the cases I've seen, when it comes to actual billing you'll only be billed an amount commensurate with your set daily budgets.

Calculating what your exact bill should be will be tricky because you seem to have had a few changes in budget over the days and it's almost impossible to predict what effect that could have, but if you never went above £4, the total should be no more than that times the number of days.  That you've already been billed a "normal" amount - £3.71 - is, I think, evidence of this discrepancy between the reported cost and the actual billed amount.

If you do get a "normal" bill, can you come back here and let us know please?  I've seen a number of these situations recently but no one has come back to confirm or deny that their billing was correct.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike J
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mike, welcome to the Community.

This appears to be a common problem with YouTube Ads where the reported cost is far in excess of the daily budget.  Rest assured that in all the cases I've seen, when it comes to actual billing you'll only be billed an amount commensurate with your set daily budgets.

Calculating what your exact bill should be will be tricky because you seem to have had a few changes in budget over the days and it's almost impossible to predict what effect that could have, but if you never went above £4, the total should be no more than that times the number of days.  That you've already been billed a "normal" amount - £3.71 - is, I think, evidence of this discrepancy between the reported cost and the actual billed amount.

If you do get a "normal" bill, can you come back here and let us know please?  I've seen a number of these situations recently but no one has come back to confirm or deny that their billing was correct.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, i was re-assured when i checked the amount it actually ended up charging me, I Just panicked at the time as i was new to adsense.
Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To add to the conversation, this happened to me as well.

I wanted to try out AdWords so I set up a short $25 campaign at $1.78/day budget. After a few days it showed my total cost at a whopping $253.89! However when I check my actual billing tab it was only showing $6.91. Each day was charged $2.14, which according to the AdWords documentation is spot-on (120% of $1.78).

I feel that this should be noted somewhere though, as obviously many people panic (as well they should) when they think they're going to be charged 1000% over their max budget.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having a similar issue in USD, I had set my budget to 5 USD and it says 179.02 USD for the total cost. I am also new, using it for youtube, and I am hoping this is a really weird glitch because even if that was only $5 a day it wouldnt be anywhere near that high in only 3 days. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hiya Smiley Happy
"I feel that this should be noted somewhere"
i agreee, i want to know what the actual purpose of the total cost column is, and what its actually represents if it is not (thank god) the amount we are being billed. what is its purpose?

99Re: Video campaign Daily Budget set at £2, Total cost £186 !?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

Iv just had the same issue. I set up a campaign for a youtube video with a £5 budget. Didnt want to spend to much as i am new to this. Checked the video about a day later and was delighted to see how many views it had generated. To ensure all was in order, i checked my adwords account and was horrified to see total costs standing at £159.53!!! I only wanted to spend a fiver! Panic! I cancelled my adwords account straight away. I do hope i dont get charged the ammount displayed. I cant afford that!

Re: 99Re: Video campaign Daily Budget set at £2, Total cost £186 !?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
YUP, I freaked the **bleep** out and cancelled mine. now trying it again. Hopefully you guys are corret. wish me luck.

Re: 99Re: Video campaign Daily Budget set at £2, Total cost £186 !?

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

Hi All,

I want to re-iterate Cobnut's response here. When you set your daily budget, that is all you will ever be charged on a daily basis (however, please familiarise yourself with "Overdelivery").

Often with video campaigns, they take off very quickly, and it overshoots the daily budget. This is not something that you will incur a charge for.

Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So far no one said what happened after a month...at the end of the month you don't have to pay the total cost of your campaine !? Because i don't want to be charghed with hundreads of after a month Smiley Very Happy . Thank you!