AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Unable to add payment method to AdWords account

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I've been unable to add a payment method for one of my client's AdWords accounts.  I keep getting an error message that says "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later. [OR-IEH-01]".  I have attempted to call AdWords support 3 times and each time the issue gets "elevated" but each time I get a call back I get a different answer ranging from, "use another browser or incognito mode", "there must be a problem with our billing system", and "please try again tomorrow".  Obviously none of these solutions works and I haven't been able to add a payment method for nearly 7 days now.

The funny thing is I can update payment methods on my other client accounts but not this one.  

If anyone at the Google payments department can please reach out to me it would be most appreciated.  This problem is going to cost both Google and I this client if they cancel their service.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well.. I think a cookie is required to validate the trsnsctuion (not sure though)

Among all remedies, have cleared cookies and cache and disabled any extension that might be blocking popups?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Thanks for the reply but I don't run any 3rd party addons/plugins in Chrome and I did try adding the card using a fresh instance of incognito mode with no luck.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Have you cleared cookies and cache?  (Again, I think you cannot authorize the payment in incognito - a cookie required)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Yes I have tried clearing both.  I also tried using a different browser (Firefox) and I still get the same error.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Can you please upload a screenshot with the error message? (Mask any PII)

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Here's a screenshot of the problem:Screenshot

This error appears after clicking the "Save" button.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

OK; this seems to be an issue with the Google payment system (the checkout which authorizes the transactions  with the CC company)

Check with the client if a request to verify the Google payment account was emailed to him / her.

Another option (after all 4 recommendations  exhausted, i.e. Clearing cache & cookies, a different browser, and  no extensions)-  try to disable the firewall (for a second, before clicking "Save" and enabling again, immediately after.)

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

I'm listed as the primary payment contact and I did not receive a request to verify the Google payment account.  

I don't think it's a cookie/browser/firewall issue as I've been able to update payment methods this week on my other client accounts.

Thanks for all your suggestions anyway! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Update:

I finally got a response from someone at Google Payments. You were right that Google flagged the account and needs to verify the Payment account.  For whatever reason they didn't notify me as the manager of the account, nor did they show any type of notification in AdWords.

I submitted the required information (name, address, and scan of a government issued ID) but received a response that they actually need the ID from the person that initially created the AdWords account from 5+ years ago.  What's odd is that I'm managing this AdWords account for a business and the employee who created the account may not even be with the company anymore.  Also, it doesn't seem appropriate to upload an employee's driver's license when the credit card on file is going to be a corporate card.   Google Payments and AdWords really need to re-think this process as it could cost them business if it becomes too much of a hassle for people to use their services.