AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Signing up with Adwords. Isn't it supposed to be free?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to sign up for Adwords to use the keyword planner. I am not intending on using the advertising services (well not for the fore-see-able future).

I was under the impression that the Keyword Planner was meant to be a free service but when I try to sign up it asks me for my bank or credit card details. I do not wish to spend any money on anything. Like I said all I want to do is use the keyword planner.

I noticed that part of the form in the billing section says "automatic payments". Is there no way that I can sign up without getting anything at all?

I don't mind entering my bank or credit card details as long as I can be certain that there will be no charge. Maybe if it was set to manual payment I could just use the free services and not use the paid for ones. How do I do this?

Sorry about this question I just really need to know if there is a way I can access the keyword planner without parting with any cash.

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hannah O
September 2015

Re: Signing up with Adwords. Isn't it supposed to be free?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Rest assured that there will be no charge until you decide to take a campaign live - there are no charges without live campaigns....

Re: Signing up with Adwords. Isn't it supposed to be free?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So far, I haven't been able to use this site for free. I paused an ad campaign, began a new blog, entered key words into the planner, only to get an "there was a problem retrieving ideas, can't display volume charts, etc." It appears you have to open a campaign with a $ amount to retrieve any words. I worry about this because I don't want to somehow choose the wrong icon, and the ad remains live, then my credit card gets maxed out. I guess I will spend the next 3 hours trying to close this account.