AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Set up an absolute budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a question that I am sure has been asked, but I can't find it.

I want to run an experiment and spend only $200.I am not sure how to set a hard limit. Reading between the lines, here is what I see:

1) I see I can set a daily budget and monitor the total every day and suspend the campaign when I see the total reaching the limit.

2) I don't see how to have the system automatically cut off at the target level. I thought I could use a prepaid account, but I see those aren't available in the United States?

So, is there any way to automatically suspend at a specific total (not daily) budget level?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Set up an absolute budget

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Micheal,

One simple solution would be to set a daily budget - say $20.

Then set a start and end date so the campaign runs for 10 days.

However, since Google will allow itself to over run by up to 20% on any given day if you really need to keep the spend below $200 then set the daily limit to $16.66 - this way even with the 20% overspend the limit would be $20.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Michael, as Steve suggests, I'd always recommend setting an end date for any test Campaign, not only to limit spend but also in case anything happens that might prevent you from manually stopping the Campaign.

Ironically, one of the problems you may find using a set number of days is that you might spend less than $200.  If, for example, your Campaign only spends $15 per day instead of $20, you end up under-spending.  I have written a very simple AdWords Script that controls any number of Campaigns and restricts them to a total spend, regardless of how long they run for.  I can't get to it right now (I'm mobile) but when I can, I'll post it here.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Michael,

You have a few great replies already but I thought I'd just add automated rules into the mix as well.

You can set a rule to check total spend and once "X" is reached, pause campaign.

Tip: You can create multiple rules to check this on a daily basis at different times. One problem is that the rules run anytime in the selected hour so you may go sdlightly over budget but should be pretty close.

pause campaigns cost reached.jpg