AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Ripped off for over $1000 dollars by Google Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up an ad using Google Adwords.  I set the maximum billing for the account to be $100.  After the first day I realized the bill was already up to $50.  I immediately turned the ads off and thought that was the end of it.  2 weeks later my CC was charged $500, then another $350, then another $250.  Everytime I would go in to double check that the ads were off.  I even tried deleting them entirely. 

After, realizing this was no error and they were purposely running up the bill, I contacted my CC company to dispute the charges.  The amount was temporarily taken off my bill.  Google asked for "evidence" that I had canceled the account on the date that I did.  Of course there is no way to prove this as it is simply done by clicking a button on a website.  There is no confirmation email or cancelation notice.  Google has purposely set up a system where they can charge customers well over their limits and without their consent, essentially extracting money from them because there is a false trust created.  We as customers have no way to prove that the account was canceled because of course you can turn it off and on at any moment by clicking a button so either way we are screwed.   I had a small business that I was hoping to get off the floor with small advertisments.  Google has single handedly ruined it.  Simply put, Google should be ashamed of themselves.  I can't even afford to take them to small claims court.  I'm now financially ruined.  Thanks Google!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ripped off for over $1000 dollars by Google Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

I am afraid but I will have to disagree on the fact that you don't receive any email confirmation after cancelling your Adwords account. You do get an email in your inbox with all the details and whether you will be billed for your outstanding balance  (if any) and whether you should apply for some refund also or not.

You can refer to the below screenshot containing email sample which you normallly get:

Now coming back to how you have been billed, did you check the Billing Tab and see if there was some account activity happened in your account because you are only charged if someone clicks your ad and not otherwise. It also depends upon what payment method you have. If you were on automatic payments, Google will automatically charge you once your billing threshold is reached.

This article might explain you how you are charged actually.

Hope that helps somewhere!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I canceled the Ad, not the account...there is no cancellation notice or email when you cancel an Ad. Not to be rude but you clearly didn't read anything I wrote...The Ad was canceled, they charged me anyways. The Ad was then deleted, they charged me anyways. No link to an article about billing can explain or legitimize this.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi youngtob, no one here can help you with specific enquiries about billing, however I will escalate your comment to have someone from Google look into the matter for you.

Pankaj probably provided the information about billing as the amounts and timings you mention in your first post don't follow the way in which Google charges.

Can you tell us the status of your account now?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My account appears to currently be "under review"...as apparently there was another $80 charge they attempted to charge me even after the CC company had disputed their first charges and blocked future charges. The charges were on 10/20, 10/27, and 11/2 with each new charge being higher than the previous. So I'm not sure what you mean that "that's not how Google charges" because that's precisely what they did. Charging me for an ad that I had turned off 3 weeks earlier and deleted 2 weeks earlier.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I mentioned that Google do not charge in the fashion you initially described because they don't, under Automatic Payments.  Your first post said quote:

"...my CC was charged $500, then another $350, then another $250..."

For new accounts - when using Automatic Payments - the first charge is $50, then $200, then $350, then $500.  Charged when the account reaches those outstanding values or after 30 days, whichever is the sooner.

As I said previously, no one here can help you and I have escalated your issue.  

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
ah I just listed the charges in reverse. My fault...yeah I didn't think anyone can help me here. I posted it more as a warning to people to be aware of what Google is doing. It's wrong and exploitative.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not only that, but I simply can not get any human being from Google on the telephone because it's saying my account is suspended and then it ends the phone call. It appears like I will be taking them to small claims court.

uva
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
uva
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭