AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Promotional codes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've opened an Adwords account a while ago, without spending anything. I did add my credit card though.

Now I'm enrolled in a Google Online Marketing class and I've received a voucher.

I can't use the voucher because it's only for new accounts (14 days old maximum).

Is there anything I can do?

Beside opening a new account, of course.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Promotional codes

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I wish Google based their "new account" definition off the date the billing info or campaign was activated, but alas . .  they don't.

AFAIK, the easiest way would probably be to open a new account and export/import your campaigns into it using AdWords Editor.  

But since you never activated the account with a credit card, if you have access to an actual Google rep, they may be able to apply a code for you and override the setup time limitation.  We've had to do this with a couple accounts within our MCC.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello ;

cotton9 wrote:

I wish Google based their "new account" definition off the date the billing info or campaign was activated, but alas . . they don't.

AFAIK, the easiest way would probably be to open a new account and export/import your campaigns into it using AdWords Editor.

But since you never activated the account with a credit card, if you have access to an actual Google rep, they may be able to apply a code for you and override the setup time limitation. We've had to do this with a couple accounts within our MCC.

______________________________________________________________________________________
cotton9's second idea (to contact Goole ) is perfectly fine.
However, do not attempt to open another account. You will be immediately suspended for violating the "double serving" section of the Policy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

MosheTLV,

Can you supply a reference that this would be in violation of the "double-serving" policy?  I can see an argument for potential "coupon fraud", since the coupon's for "new users" - although I would consider someone who's never actually had an ad show up (b/c billing info was never entered) a "new user". 

My understanding is that, as long as there are no active campaigns in a separate account, there is no double-serving violation.  In fact, I just got off the phone with my Google rep, and we were discussing a similar issue (although not related to this question).  He told me there's no ad "serving" from an older account, if the campaigns are disabled.  

Agencies run into this all the time.  Someone tried AdWords before with an older account, they later hire an agency.  The agency sets up a brand new account for them and shares ownership.  As long as the older account isn't actively showing campaigns, there doesn't seem to be a double-serving issue.

Reviewing the actual terms doesn't imply this would be a double-serving issue either: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2600168

Can you clarify?

Of course, I say this with hesitation - arguing with a guy with 2,810 posts. Smiley Wink

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again cotton9

This a great question that many advertisers are not aware of. (Rarely I star a question...Smiley Wink)

Quote:

>>"My understanding is that, as long as there are no active campaigns in a separate account, there is no double-serving violation."

Having more than one account per business, active or inactive, is a violation of the double serving policy; (Some exemptions are listed on the double serving - I am discussing the general rule).

If you run a search on the community for " multiple accounts", you'll find many cases, where users were not aware of the "other" account (that had not been active, or had been unknown), and, suddenly, were suspended.

Check this case, as an example: (there are more):

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Multiple-Accts-leads-to-Suspension-but-we-...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for your response Moshe,

In an effort to fully understand this issue, I read through the thread you linked to as well as two pages of search results for "multiple campaigns".  I didn't find any specific evidence that an inactive account would violate the double-serving policy.  

Rather, I found that the double-serving suspension notification email distributed by Google states "Your Google AdWords account has been suspended because your business maintains multiple AdWords accounts simultaneously serving ads for similar or related keywords and/or businesses."  

I would think that if inactive accounts were an issue, the email would leave out the "simultaneously serving ads" part.  

Of course, there are instances discussed on this forum of people having their accounts suspended without being aware of a second account.  But to assume these unknown accounts had no billing info attached or had all their campaigns paused is a stretch.  

It's not a big issue for me, but given my personal experience and the statements of our agency's Google rep, my skepticism stands that an inactive account violates the double-serving policy.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi cotton9;

Quote:

>>As long as the older account isn't actively showing campaigns, there doesn't seem to be a double-serving issue.

Follow my logic;

1. "Inactive accounts" are accounts opened and campaigns (on those accounts ) are paused.
  2. Ads paused, checked for policy compliance. ( To be ready for serving / reactivate immediately, without having to wait for approval)
  3. Thus, a paused campaign, in Google's view, is an " active campaign on hold"
  4. The conclusion: this is an AdWords account with paused campaigns; and hence, violating the double serving.

-Moshe