AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Procedure to set up an account for a client and limit them to billing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an MCC account that can access a clients account that they own.. however what I would like to do is run accounts for clients and allow access to billing but not to the actual campaign. Is there instructions that explain this.. must I open the account in their name and can their access be limited to billing information and can they pay that billing directly?  Or must I open the account in my name and they must pay me and I pay for the adwords... I prefer that they pay adwords billing directly with thier credit card.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author master
September 2015

Re: Procedure to set up an account for a client and limit them to bill

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Here's how you can give them "read only access": https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?hl=en

But you'd have to open an account in their name without giving them access, then create a read-only user for them and also manage their account via MCC.

My opinion on this is that clients should own their accounts (fully) and we should manage them.

My 2 cents.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
My personal take on this is that clients should own their accounts and we should manage them through MCC. If they start making changes to the account then you should decide if you want to work with them anymore.

The accounts should contain their names, addresses and billing info and they should handle bill payments themselves while you should charge them for management.

If you, however, decide you want to do things differently then you should:
- create an account that you control
- manage it through your MCC
- give them "read only access": https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?hl=en
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author master
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Here's how you can give them "read only access": https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?hl=en

But you'd have to open an account in their name without giving them access, then create a read-only user for them and also manage their account via MCC.

My opinion on this is that clients should own their accounts (fully) and we should manage them.

My 2 cents.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Master,

Just a small addition to what Calin said above, if you are going to create the Adwords account on behalf of your client, you should get this clause (in written) in your contract with the client stating that client has given you all the authority to create and build the account from scratch. Doing this is going to keep you safe for the future.

Also, since client is hiring you to work for his Adwords campaigns, the client should really have the ownership of the account to access all parts of it, rather than only the Read Only Access, which you are willing to give to your client.

My 2 cents as well!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But is this realistic.. can someone give me the name of one Top Adwords Real Estate company that will take their years and years of experience and build me a campaign and work it to peak for 6 months and then turn it over lock stock and barrel.... if so i can send them an average of 10-100 agents per month like clockwork... however they cannot charge more than they would if I was not given access...

I think there is a lot of difference in what is right and what is going on.... but I am not sure I want to give my years of experience up either... and I know of hundreds of Real Estate Adwords guys that would never give up the account.... period.. and they make it clear up front that you will never even see the account unless its billing only...

So is what they are doing approved by adwords... or not...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

And when you say read only.. does that mean read only for the entire campaign or just the billing...

Read the entire campaign means they can duplicate it... and that alone would be worth its weight in gold...

If the account is a winner... even a mediocre adwords guy can keep it purring... maybe not as good as the expert.. but one heck of a lot better than he could have done from scratch.  I know tons of folks willing to pay for 6 months to get a well oiled campaign...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

According to this: http://www.google.com/adwords/thirdpartypartners/ "You have a right to know, at a minimum, the number of clicks, impressions, and cost of your AdWords advertising."

I don't understand the "however they cannot charge more than they would if I was not given access..." bit.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was referring to lets say... I get no access... then the rate is 25% of the spend... but if I want full access then the 6 months will be $5,000 + 25% of the monthly spend since I walk away with the campaign.

In other words I am paying extra for the knowledge they will be giving me....

And not concerned about giving an day in regard to the results... just giving access to the entire campaign keyphrases, ads whole shooting match... just don't know of any company that does that....

And thanks for all the info... its helping clear up a lot...I will study the reference you gave me..

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I perfectly understand. That is, precisely, why some (including myself) charge for the research & setup phase, tuning for the next and then maintenance. As long as I get my money for that, I'm fine with the arrangement.

On the other hand, for agencies that are already established, it is counter-productive (very Smiley Happy ), because they have the whole set-up in place and are interested to duplicate it for as many times as possible. So they don't want to sell the mold Smiley Happy. Quick & established set-up and a nice percentage of spend, for a long period of time, plus controlling the account (i.e. when the client walks he starts from scratch), that sure is a nice recipe for a steady cash flow.