AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Payments Concern

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Community

I have changed from manual payments to automatic payments thinking that I would get charged 30 days after credit ran out, But after changing over I have re looked at the info and it seems that I can get charged on my card a number of times a month if credit is used up in afew days. I thought I would set a monthly limit and that was that, but I have mis understood it.

I have tried changing back to manual payments but it wont allow me to.

Is there anything I can do to prevent anything happening, for the time being I have paused all ads but I am worried this could all go horribly wrong.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ita (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Payments Concern

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

You said that you have already moved from manual to automatic payments under your Billing preferences. And now you again want to move back to manual payments.

Now this happens when advertiser is actually not sure in the beginning of which payment method is best for him. So first thing is to have clear understanding of how these payment methods work actually.

Now in automatic, when you shifted, Adwords assigns a billing threshold depending upon how much you are spending. Most of the times it is $50 to start with. Once you start accruing costs, your billing threshold increases and goes to $500.

Now here's the trick to understand that Adwords will charge you once you reach your billing threshold or every 30 days Billing cycle, whichever is applicable. See this for more details. You can also go to the Billing Tab and see how many times your Credit card has been charged based on the advertising costs.

There's another alternative for big advertisers who tend to spend high per month. That's called Monthly Invoicing. You can read about the eligibility criteria and more about that here.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Brandnewtom,

To change from Manual to Automatic payment you need to contact adwords support.

Please see this link for more details. Copied some text from the google help support link:

Before you can make the switch, you'll need to pay your account balance and an additional amount covering your last seven days of costs. This ensures that your ads keep running once you're on manual payments.

For example, if your current balance is $20 and your last seven days of costs total $50, you'll need to make a payment of $70 in order to switch to manual payments.

After you've paid your current balance and the additional amount covering your last seven days of costs, contact AdWords support to complete the switching process.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ita (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

You said that you have already moved from manual to automatic payments under your Billing preferences. And now you again want to move back to manual payments.

Now this happens when advertiser is actually not sure in the beginning of which payment method is best for him. So first thing is to have clear understanding of how these payment methods work actually.

Now in automatic, when you shifted, Adwords assigns a billing threshold depending upon how much you are spending. Most of the times it is $50 to start with. Once you start accruing costs, your billing threshold increases and goes to $500.

Now here's the trick to understand that Adwords will charge you once you reach your billing threshold or every 30 days Billing cycle, whichever is applicable. See this for more details. You can also go to the Billing Tab and see how many times your Credit card has been charged based on the advertising costs.

There's another alternative for big advertisers who tend to spend high per month. That's called Monthly Invoicing. You can read about the eligibility criteria and more about that here.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 4
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Tom, 

Pankaj gave you a really great, complete answer there!

One final thing I would add is that to move from automatic you have to call us (freephone numbers are here) we have to make the change for you. In order to make the move back to manual, there needs to be a minimum of 7 days spend as credit in the account. 

I hope this helps.

Ita