AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Over spend

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

IF my budget if £650 for a campaign and my delivery is set to spread the budget out, why would I have spent it all by 14:00.  Appreciate the 20% etc.. but surely I shouldnt be maxing out my budget half way through the day.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Over spend

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Richard S,

This might not help but we once had all of our budget spent. we found out that a previous employee had used a piece software that uses a different IP every few clicks so it looks like correct clicks not Invalid " Fake " clicks. we took this to google and they said they couldnt prove it was a piece of software doing this and we had to pay the full amount.

I would suggest maybe looking at your Google analytics and checking where the traffic may be coming from, i would also report this to google and they will check into it to see if they qualify as invalid.

kind regards,

Brett B

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

This means that either you set a really low budget of the you target too broad.

• I would first look that the keywords and ad-copy are really "tightly themed" to the busindes / products you are promoting 
  • Avoid as much as you can "broad match". This match type could trigger the ad against search queries which might not be relevant
  • Add negative keywords
  • And the tool to use: is the search terms report which  shows you which search queries matched which keywords, and will help you to remove keywords not relevant and add negative keywords

Read more:

Negative Keywords: As Important as Positive Keywords

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply MosheTLV,

Back then we had aprox £100 per day i wouldn't of said that was a low budget just depends on the market you are targeting.

we also never used broad match, i have always used phrase / exact match.

Google's system back then weren't as good as it is now, if it happened now i am sure they would be able to class them as invalid, but as i said the IP changed every so many clicks so we couldn't prove it was someone trying to waste our budget.