AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

My brand new AdWords account says it's suspended because billing cannot be verified!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I created an AdWords account and it says that the billing information cannot be verified so it's suspended. I checked with my card issuer and it was a problem from their end and that has been taken care of now. I want to add another card (backup card) so that it doesn't happen again in future, or I can add a bank account. Should I add that? What is the way to fix the account? I know AdWords can do a lot for my business and I don't want to loose my AdWords account. Please advice. I don't want to take any step without proper guidance. Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My brand new AdWords account says it's suspended because billing cannot be verified!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Pro_A,

Having worked with a myriad clients over the years I ALWAYS highly recommend adding a backup card to avoid disruption with an account's advertising. Not having a backup card should the primary card stop working (for whatever reason) ensures continuity.

You can fix the account by deleting the troublemaking card and adding a new one.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

Re: My brand new AdWords account says it's suspended because billing cannot be verified!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Pro A,

Billing issues do happen from time to time so you should be able to get things back going rather quickly. If you simply have a red banner when you log in saying you need to update your billing info, you can proceed to the steps below. If, however, your account is suspended, you will most likely need to contact AdWords Support -and- follow the steps below. You can also contact AdWords support directly from your account by clicking on the Gear icon in upper right corner and then using the phone number shown or by clicking on Help. 

Please note that once a payment method has failed, it has to be validated (or fixed) to be used again (you don't have to remove it or abandon it) with your AdWords account and be active again. 

1) Log in to Adwords.

2) Click on gear icon in upper right corner.

3) Click Billing.

To Fix your payment method after a failed payment, you need to follow the steps above to visit the billing section of your AdWords account. Next, you need to click on the Billing Settings in the left hand menu.  You will see all of your submitted payment methods and above the failed one will be a red bar with the words Fix It. Click on those words and follow prompts to validate the payment method. You will need to do this every time your payment method is declined. Google payments often trigger fraud protection on credit cards until the bank or institution becomes familiar with you doing business with Google. 

As @Nick C suggested, adding more than one payment source can help prevent this in the future. You can add several extra sources... but keep in mind that unless you assign one as a "backup," AdWords cannot pull from the source automatically. You can still use these others as a manual payment source, but a backup payment is what is needed, ideally.  

Take a look at your AdWords account and let us know how things go.

Kind Regards,

James