AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Managing monthly budget during the month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

My understanding is that in AdWords, every month is 30.4 days long. This appears to be fine for campaigns that run for the entire month as I would just have to divide the monthly budget by 30.4 to get the daily budget and by the end of the month, I won't be charged more than my monthly budget.

My question is, what happens if a campaign starts on, let's say, the 8th of November onward? How would I be able to calculate the daily budget while ensuring that I don't go over budget by month's end? This question also applies for campaigns that have a budget change during the month (client changes campaign budget mid-month).

I have tried using...

(BUDGET - SPENT) ÷ (REMAINING DAY ÷ TOTAL DAYS IN MONTH × 30.4)

...but that hasn't seemed to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Managing monthly budget during the month

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Athirach

I'm a little confused here. Why not simply subtract the remaining days?
So for example, if your campaign starts on the 8th of this month, take your budget and divide it by 22?

Then adjust that when the change request comes in. I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to bem

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Athirach,

I would definitely echo Dave's thoughts here - the formula doesn't change when you have less days in a month, just the # of days you input into the equation.

Also, monitoring ad spend is something that should done regularly, you never want to log into an account on the last day of the month to find that you've exceeded the planned budget.

One thing not to forget if you take this approach of applying a full month budget to a short month is to reset your budgets at the start of month two. Smiley Happy

(budget/22) * 22 days = budget
(budget/22) * 30 days = over budget

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Athirach

I'm a little confused here. Why not simply subtract the remaining days?
So for example, if your campaign starts on the 8th of this month, take your budget and divide it by 22?

Then adjust that when the change request comes in. I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to bem
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Athirach,

I would definitely echo Dave's thoughts here - the formula doesn't change when you have less days in a month, just the # of days you input into the equation.

Also, monitoring ad spend is something that should done regularly, you never want to log into an account on the last day of the month to find that you've exceeded the planned budget.

One thing not to forget if you take this approach of applying a full month budget to a short month is to reset your budgets at the start of month two. Smiley Happy

(budget/22) * 22 days = budget
(budget/22) * 30 days = over budget

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

Isn't a month for Google 30.4 days and to calculate the daily budget for the month, you take the budget and divide by 30.4 rather than 30 (let's say for November)?

Then if the campaign is set to run for 15 days, how come all I have to do is divide the budget for the month by 15 when when we're calculating for the whole month it's 30.4?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Athirach,

The 30.4 is an average days of the month to help advertisers take their monthly allotted ad budget ( a more common way of looking at budget) and coming up with an accurate daily budget to use in the account.

I think the point here is if you have a set budget that you'd like to spend in a particular calendar month, say November, then you want to spend that entire amount in November, right?

So, if you have $3000 to spend in November and you start your campaign on the 10th, you still want to exhaust that budget in November so you would divide the given budget by the amount of advertising days you have for that particular month. In this case it would be 20 days left in November.

If it's 20 days, then your daily budget would be $3000/20 for November so you can exhaust that $3000 budget in the calendar month.

Then if you get another 3000 for December and plan to run campaigns for the entire month, you can revert back to the full month equation 3000/30.4 to set your daily budget for December.

Alternatively, if exhausting the budget is not of concern and you'd rather have a consistent daily budget from the start, you can just calculate your average monthly budget allocated and then daily budget based on that using the 30.4 days method.

Does that help?

-Tommy