AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible that someone has stolen my identity with Google?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had an account that I setup with the help of a small SEM agency. It is to drive traffic to an online quote form for my services based business. All went ok. Stopped using it last September due to not being able to handle the growth. I know that sounds weird, but as you ramp up staffing and the related training and processes that go with that, it is hard for a small business.

Fast forward to the end of May. I add ~$850 to my ad words account and start getting ready to kick back on the advertising. Google has suspended my account. I called and got though. They said I had to talk to my "client manager". I explained that I have no contact with that company anymore, as they won't return calls or emails. I think they went out of business. I then removed access to my account for that company.

I get an email today saying I have outstanding balances on a list of 50+ accounts. I don't have any access to anyone's account except my own, as far as I know. No clue what that is. I worry that somehow the SEM agency tied me up in something fraudulent.

Anyone else ever run into this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it possible that someone has stolen my identity with Google?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Devon
Sounds like an awful situation, I'm sorry to hear that.
When you signed up with the agency, did you give them your credit card info? As in, did they enter your credit card info into the AdWords account for you?

It sounds like a bit of a mess all right. Unfortunately, nobody here has access to your account so your best bet is to call AdWords support. You can find the contact details by clicking the "Contact AdWords" link at the top right corner of this page (assuming you're not on mobile).

It might take a while to explain the situation but the only ones who can give you the answers you need are AdWords support themselves.

The email stating that you have an outstanding balance on 50+ accounts sounds like you may have been roped into something. However, I've had AdWords email, and even CALL my clients thinking that they were me so mess ups do happen.

Please let us know how you get on with support.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave,

I don't believe they had access to my CC. I paid Google directly online, and the card I used to pay the agency their monthly flat fee was a different one. I have never seen any fraudulently charges on my card.

I got an email from adwords saying they can provide no more details. I am basically unable to fix this and can simply no longer use adwords. I have asked for details on how I can access these accounts and get a total owed. If it is a small enough amount of money, I would likely simply pay to be able to use AdWords.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Devon,
This situation does not sound ideal. I'd like to look into this further for you. Since this is related to your personal details, we'll need to move the conversation to email. Please look out for an email from me.

Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Kathleen. I appreciate you trying to help.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Devon,
I have good news for you! We have resolved this issue and your account is ready to run again. I'll follow up via email with the specific steps you need to take - but I wanted to share the good news!

Kathleen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Kathleen,

Thank you so much for your help. My account is still suspended though. I am confident that it is just a matter of time, but wanted to make sure you understood that as of right now, my account is not active.