AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

I think I'm being cheated by Google Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Holly cow, I'm so shocked. I thought Google would be one of the safest companies out there in regards to not needing to resort to fraud. I could try and write to support but, because Google insists on defining me by my IP rather than who I actually am, they keep sending me to Spanish support which is pretty useless in my case. Not only that but I've sent several support emails that were never answered and I'm sure it is because my requests are in English yet I am being routed to Spanish.

I only have one active campaign with all my ads paused except one. That one ad was not served within the last 24 hours nor the entire time my campaign has been running. I checked this morning and while the one active ad shows ZERO for impressions or clicks, Google has mysteriously invented clicks and debited my account. What is that, click fraud without even bothering to click on the ad to give the impression it was really clicked? Wow, that is pretty brazen.

What should I do? I guess if asking for help here is anything like asking for help from my user panel, I'm probably not going to get an answer but I thought I would try before going to other sources.

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meet20
September 2015

Re: I think I'm being cheated by Google Adwords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Meet20,

Really sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience! I have never seen or heard of a case in which a user has been charged with no account activity what so ever. There must be an ad group/campaign that is active and serving. Adwords will not charge you for clicks that do not exist.

Does your whole account show zero impressions and clicks for the billing period in question?

With regards to the Spanish support, you must be accessing it from an account/browser that is set to Spanish to be routed to Spanish support. Have you tried opening an incognito window, ensuring that the browser is English and accessing support that way? Or perhaps just calling? Find a list of google support numbers here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067

Hope you can sort this out!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Meet20, are you aware of how billing works in AdWords?

Here's a link which will explain to you how you are billed: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704418?hl=en

The fact that one ad did not receive impressions in the last 24 hours, or that your ads are currently paused does not mean they did not run two weeks ago, for instance and that Google is billing you now for clicks accrued some time ago.

Please go to your billing section in AdWords and see what you were billed for: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/173693?rd=2 and then let us know if this clears things up.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I am in Spain and although I generally speak to the support team in spanish, they are based in other countries - notably Ireland, out of the Dublin office- if you call them you will be able to speak to someone in english - possibly not the first person that picks up the phone, but certainly one of the people either side of them....

....and believe me - Google makes enough money without having to cheat you out of clicks ;-)

One other place to look is video campaigns, these don't appear on the regular list...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Meet20,

Really sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience! I have never seen or heard of a case in which a user has been charged with no account activity what so ever. There must be an ad group/campaign that is active and serving. Adwords will not charge you for clicks that do not exist.

Does your whole account show zero impressions and clicks for the billing period in question?

With regards to the Spanish support, you must be accessing it from an account/browser that is set to Spanish to be routed to Spanish support. Have you tried opening an incognito window, ensuring that the browser is English and accessing support that way? Or perhaps just calling? Find a list of google support numbers here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067

Hope you can sort this out!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Meet20, are you aware of how billing works in AdWords?

Here's a link which will explain to you how you are billed: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704418?hl=en

The fact that one ad did not receive impressions in the last 24 hours, or that your ads are currently paused does not mean they did not run two weeks ago, for instance and that Google is billing you now for clicks accrued some time ago.

Please go to your billing section in AdWords and see what you were billed for: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/173693?rd=2 and then let us know if this clears things up.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I am in Spain and although I generally speak to the support team in spanish, they are based in other countries - notably Ireland, out of the Dublin office- if you call them you will be able to speak to someone in english - possibly not the first person that picks up the phone, but certainly one of the people either side of them....

....and believe me - Google makes enough money without having to cheat you out of clicks ;-)

One other place to look is video campaigns, these don't appear on the regular list...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You may be right, Clynton. I noticed the 4 extra clicks was attributed to the last ad that I paused and I think it could take up to four hours (or something like that) for a paused ad to be taken offline. Thank you for your help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good guess, Calin. I am familiar with how billing works but I JUST started using AdWords again after years so everything in my account is completely new. It looks like the clicks are associated to the last ad I paused but thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, stickleback. I haven't tried telephone support but maybe I should. And you're right, Google makes TONS of money which is why it seemed so crazy that they would cheat my tiny little account out of clicks. It looks like cheating wasn't involved at all and I need to stop being so paranoid (haha). Have a great night!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Before closing this "discussion" I just really want to thank you all for the answers you took the time to share. Honestly, I have written support several times over the past week and NOT ONE email has been answered. I don't know what that says about a company when its "Users" are providing better support than the paid support personnel. Maybe Google should just start paying every User who is able to answer questions.

Also, all the answers were helpful and this is my first time using this section so I don't know if I can select "Accept As Solution" for all of you or if it is going to stop me after the first but just know I'm going to try to "Accept As Solution" for all the replies. THANK YOU!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
We're glad to have been able to help, Meet20. I've usually had positive experiences with support (actually I can't remember any bad one), but I can relate to your negative one.

All's well that ends well, though. Eventually Smiley Happy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This has actually been happening to me as well. I have a eCommerce store and there are phantom "clicks" everyday. Some clicks are on ads that should be no longer running and some are in locations that I have specifically excluded. The way that I can tell is that I see a click on my adwords account yet there is no-one on the actual website as I monitor it all day through Olark (an online chat). Very disturbing and I spent over $10,000 in adwords last year.