AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

I created a Google AdWords per teacher request am I being charged?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For a homework assignment my teacher told me to create a Google AdWord to use the Keyword Planner. I had no intention for ever advertising anything and now I am stressing out about being charged. I immediately canceled my account. I have been frantically looking for answers or some type of support and have found nothing clear.

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris M,

You need to remind your teacher that using a Google AdWords account means the person will be charged for any advertising that takes place. You can also remind your teacher that to gain access to the Keyword Planner one must have an active AdWords account that is racking up charges. Feel free to copy & paste this message and give it to your teacher so they do not cause other students to rack up charges. Your teacher could ultimately cause people (students) to obtain suspensions and even permanent bans of AdWords. 

If you are sure you cancelled your account, it cannot be active (racking up charges) and be cancelled... so you are fine. You can check with the payment method you submitted and verify if any payments have been made to Google AdWords. And you can visit Google AdWords while logged into the Google account used to set up AdWords and see if it gives you access to the account. If it does, click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner and click on Billing. This is where all debits & credits are tracked. 

Please let us know if we can help further.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

OK - first thing.. .stop freaking out. Unless you added billing information and ran ads, Google will not charge you.

Second thing - and I'm not sure how you approach your teacher about this - unless you simply want to point him/her to this post... he/she should know better. For some time you have been unable to set up a new account without having to add billing details - i.e. a credit card or bank account AND... you cannot access the keyword planner without going through this step.

Frankly - and I don't mind telling your teacher this directly - that's a pretty irresponsible thing to ask student to do - I'm guessing you are high school (?) which means you really shouldn't be entering into this kind of thing "for fun" - I know homework isn't fun, but you know what I mean.

Sounds like your teacher is out of touch with these recent changes.

Simply make sure that you have no active ads and that you are not triggering any ad impressions. Without impressions you cannot get charged. Just select the date range for This Month and see if there has been any traffic - if there's nothing you're golden. If there has been traffic go and make sure that any campaigns you have set up are paused.

By the way... your teacher should also recognise that you were smart to figure out that you might get charged and even smarter to come here to check - kudos to you!