AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

I can't use my promo code after signing up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Live in the heart of the united states, created an adwords account. Got it all set up and tried to enter my promo code. A red bar came down and said "refresh page" with a link. I clicked the refresh page link and it took me to some other page. It had campaigns and stuff. I didn't even agree to TOS or enter my billing info yet!!! I went to billing info and no promo code box was in there. How the heck do I enter my code???

I got mad and cancelled my account out of anger thinking this was some kind of Google scam.Did I just get scammed by Google or is this legit????

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: I can't use my promo code after signing up

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It the web address said adwords.google.com, then you didn't get scammed.

That red bar is actually quite common, it basically means that some changes were made behind the scenes and you should reload your page to make sure that you're working with the latest changes.

If you've cancelled your account, you wont be able to enter your voucher code.

If you want to reactivate your account, you can find instructions on how to enter the code into the field here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/142741?rd=1

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charlie B
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hey Charlie,

Thanks for posting your issue on the AdWords Community. I'm so sorry to hear you had an issue with redeeming your promotional code. I'm going to try my best to address your concerns and questions on this post.

Sometimes during the account creation process, minor issues occur and if you refresh, the information you inputted can be lost. This is what probably happened (although it's a bit hard to diagnose exactly since I was not there to witness it first-hand).

The minute you start the account creation process, your Google account is assigned a 10-digit AdWords customer ID number, regardless if you actually finishing billing information or accept terms and conditions. The account is created but sits in a draft state until you actually complete the billing sign up and accept the terms and conditions. This is completely normal and don't worry, the account will not begin to run until both of those steps are completed.

For your promotional code, once you set up billing information, you can input this into your account by following the steps listed in our Help Center (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1703648?hl=en). You have to go into the Billing section of your account and there will be a blue link that says "Manage promotional codes". Upon clicking this, you are taken to the Promotional code page in your account and you can redeem your promotional code directly in there!

Now, it sounds like you'd like to re-enable the account. You should be able to do this by logging into your account and clicking the tab that says "Campaigns". Once you are there you should see a red banner informing you that the account is cancelled. At the end of that notification, you will see an option to click the message in the red banner and it should ask you to confirm that you'd like to reactivate your account. You can follow the directions with screenshots on our Help Center at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375392?hl=en.

I know I covered a lot in this post, so if at any point you get lost or would like 1:1 help, please do not hesitate to contact our AdWords Customer Support. You can find out the number to call here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067?hl=en.

I hope this helps - good luck!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It the web address said adwords.google.com, then you didn't get scammed.

That red bar is actually quite common, it basically means that some changes were made behind the scenes and you should reload your page to make sure that you're working with the latest changes.

If you've cancelled your account, you wont be able to enter your voucher code.

If you want to reactivate your account, you can find instructions on how to enter the code into the field here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/142741?rd=1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes I cancelled because I felt scammed after what I felt was a bait in switch; I refreshed the page from the red bar and the promo field was gone forever. And yes, it was adwords.google.com. If they can resolve this, I might consider giving it another try. If not, then I will just figure it was a typical bait-in-switch scam. And I won't do business with companies like this.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, how can my account already been created when I didn't even accept the TOS or enter my personal info / billing info yet? This seems very odd to me! There shouldn't even have been an account to "cancel" yet because I was still in the first stages of making an adwords account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay so I don't see where I can re-enable my account at all. I tried going through "guide me" and it says it is still disabled. Also, when going to billing, it shows a completely different page than the screenshots in the link you sent. It's like that information is outdated about a year or two. Google needs to update their instructions.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charlie B
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hey Charlie,

Thanks for posting your issue on the AdWords Community. I'm so sorry to hear you had an issue with redeeming your promotional code. I'm going to try my best to address your concerns and questions on this post.

Sometimes during the account creation process, minor issues occur and if you refresh, the information you inputted can be lost. This is what probably happened (although it's a bit hard to diagnose exactly since I was not there to witness it first-hand).

The minute you start the account creation process, your Google account is assigned a 10-digit AdWords customer ID number, regardless if you actually finishing billing information or accept terms and conditions. The account is created but sits in a draft state until you actually complete the billing sign up and accept the terms and conditions. This is completely normal and don't worry, the account will not begin to run until both of those steps are completed.

For your promotional code, once you set up billing information, you can input this into your account by following the steps listed in our Help Center (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1703648?hl=en). You have to go into the Billing section of your account and there will be a blue link that says "Manage promotional codes". Upon clicking this, you are taken to the Promotional code page in your account and you can redeem your promotional code directly in there!

Now, it sounds like you'd like to re-enable the account. You should be able to do this by logging into your account and clicking the tab that says "Campaigns". Once you are there you should see a red banner informing you that the account is cancelled. At the end of that notification, you will see an option to click the message in the red banner and it should ask you to confirm that you'd like to reactivate your account. You can follow the directions with screenshots on our Help Center at https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375392?hl=en.

I know I covered a lot in this post, so if at any point you get lost or would like 1:1 help, please do not hesitate to contact our AdWords Customer Support. You can find out the number to call here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067?hl=en.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This fixed the problem. Thank you