AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

How to allocate budget among campaigns inside same account?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Here is the situation. I have an account for client A inside my MCC. Client A has different branches in different cities and we have set up different campaigns for each city. We receive payment from different branches of the client and pay to Google through credit card payment method to the same account.

Each campaign have different budgets and time schedules. So its becoming difficult to ensure each campaign do not overspend since there is money left in the account which actually belong to another campaign for a different city..

How can i manage the budget easily among different campaigns with out creating different accounts for different cities? Is it possible through shared budget?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jithin C
December 2015

Re: How to allocate budget among campaigns inside same account?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Jithin C the best solution is probably to use AdWords Scripts and an external spreadsheet.  So your external spreadsheet would contain maybe three columns, Campaign Name, Daily Budget and Budget Balance.  Each day (just after midnight ideally), the script will look at the spreadsheet and check whether the "budget balance" column has enough balance to continue the Campaign, if it doesn't it could either pause the Campaign or set the daily budget to what remains.  So, for example, if two rows of the sheet looked like this:

budget.png

CampaignA has plenty of remaining budget so the script would set the daily budget at $50 and leave it running.  CampaignB is running low, so the script could either set the daily budget to $38 (or could maybe round down to $30 or something) or it could pause the Campaign altogether (your choice).

All you'd have to do would be to maintain the budget balance column, so when the "owners" of CampaignB pay you some more money, you'd add this to the Budget Balance column and the Campaign would start to run again.

Having said this, I would really recommend that you consider giving each branch their own Account (using their own billing details).  With the current situation you are responsible for AdWords payments and while that's fine when your clients are good, if anything were to go wrong, it would be you how would be liable for all charges.  I'd also suggest that allowing each branch their own Account is a more transparent approach.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Re: How to allocate budge among campaigns inside same account?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jithin,

Using Shared budget, if one of your campaign is not able to utilize the predefined budget, the other campaign (with shared budget) if ends up with the budget then will use the remaining budget of that campaign which was unable to utilize it.
So if you want that none of your campaign should be there without consuming the daily budget then shared budget is best option.

Reference:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2517512?hl=en

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: How to allocate budge among campaigns inside same account?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
What is want is this not to happen.. I don't want one campaign to consume the budget of the other campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
For example Client A has a monthly budget of 100000. Out of this 25k is for city 1, 30k for city 2, 20k for city 3, and 25k for city 4. I dont want campaign city 1 to consume the budget of campaign city 2..

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I apologise as I was not able to completely understand the issue.

You must use the individual budget for each campaign in the case.
I hope you might be facing the issue of slightly over costing than your predefined daily budget. The reason being your total daily cost might be up to 20% more than your average daily budget to give you maximum ROI.

However, you won't be charged more than your average daily budget multiplied by the average number of days in a month (30.4).

for your reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375423?hl=en

And for the campaigns which are unable to utilize the daily budget for a day, they might face the same process and can over cost in the next coming days when they likely to bring more conversions.

If not then you need to expand the campaign by adding more keywords from keywords planner as well as search term report to get more traffic, perform A/B/C/D testing for ads, using ad extensions.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jithin C

Shared budget is not a solution in your case. Spending budget in non performing campaign might cause a problem. You should analyze your campaign data (Search terms, ads, time, user location) then allocate budget according to conversion. Individual budget allocation is the best practice. I experienced the same issue past 6 months back.

Thanks,
Virendra
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jithin C
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Jithin C the best solution is probably to use AdWords Scripts and an external spreadsheet.  So your external spreadsheet would contain maybe three columns, Campaign Name, Daily Budget and Budget Balance.  Each day (just after midnight ideally), the script will look at the spreadsheet and check whether the "budget balance" column has enough balance to continue the Campaign, if it doesn't it could either pause the Campaign or set the daily budget to what remains.  So, for example, if two rows of the sheet looked like this:

budget.png

CampaignA has plenty of remaining budget so the script would set the daily budget at $50 and leave it running.  CampaignB is running low, so the script could either set the daily budget to $38 (or could maybe round down to $30 or something) or it could pause the Campaign altogether (your choice).

All you'd have to do would be to maintain the budget balance column, so when the "owners" of CampaignB pay you some more money, you'd add this to the Budget Balance column and the Campaign would start to run again.

Having said this, I would really recommend that you consider giving each branch their own Account (using their own billing details).  With the current situation you are responsible for AdWords payments and while that's fine when your clients are good, if anything were to go wrong, it would be you how would be liable for all charges.  I'd also suggest that allowing each branch their own Account is a more transparent approach.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much @Jon_Gritton... I am not really familiar with adwords scripts, but now defenitely going to try this out...Thanks again for the detailed reply..