AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

How do I set up an account for a Jersey CI business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Channel Islands are missing from the billing location and it refuses to accept the JS VAT exemption code. We do not have  VAT here and we are not part of the EU either. The JS code works for other online services like Amazon Web Services.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How do I set up an account for a Jersey CI business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon and Anna,

Thank you both for your kind responses. The Channel Islands are rather unusual as we are self governing and independent of both the UK and EU im most respects.

In the case of VAT exempt countries we usually need to have a "dummy" VAT code (ours is "JS") to avoid being charged VAT within Europe. My concern was the UI would not allow the two letter exemption code.

I will proceed as you suggest as if we can decide how much VAT to pay can simply choose zero.

Thanks agian,

John

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jhollis and welcome to the forum.  Good question:  I have no idea!

Unless someone comes along in the next couple of hours, I'll escalate this for you, although please bear in mind it's the "Holidays" now in the US.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
Hi Jhollis,

Thanks so much for your question and for your patience. Sorry for the delay in my response- we were out for the holidays!

I see that in your question, the country you mentioned is the Channel Islands. In order to answer your question, I was hoping for some more clarification. I am not very familiar with the Channel Islands. Are they owned by another country? If the Channel Islands is not an option for billing location, you will not be able to add it but if they are owned by another country, then you can select that country instead. Please feel free to respond to this thread and Happy New Year!

Best,

Anna

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Anna, never has so simple a question had so complex an answer:

"Are they owned by another country?"...

The "Channel Islands" are an archipelago of British Dependencies located in the English Channel just off the French coast of Normandy.  They have a rather special relationship with the UK and France that I'm not even going to try and explain... I'll let Wikipedia have a stab at it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Islands

The key difference between the CI and the UK or France is that the Islands are not part of the EU, so pay no VAT.  This shouldn't matter though (should it?) as VAT is self-assessed for Adwords in the UK.

If there are no other problems with choosing the UK as the billing country, I'd suggest JHollis does this, especially as we keep the same time zone as the Islands.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Jon and JHollis,

Thanks for the reply and the history- definitely helpful!

I absolutely agree with Jon's followup to my question now knowing more information. I would recommend selecting Great Britain as the country for the account. Please feel free to reach out with further questions! 

Best,

Anna 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon and Anna,

Thank you both for your kind responses. The Channel Islands are rather unusual as we are self governing and independent of both the UK and EU im most respects.

In the case of VAT exempt countries we usually need to have a "dummy" VAT code (ours is "JS") to avoid being charged VAT within Europe. My concern was the UI would not allow the two letter exemption code.

I will proceed as you suggest as if we can decide how much VAT to pay can simply choose zero.

Thanks agian,

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a related question to this - when setting up an adwords campaign the only area Google allows you to select (it appears) is St Helier' - clearly St Helier is not the entire Island!! Can anyone tell me if there is a way around this? Much appreciated, Sarah