AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Gopa talks about promotional credits

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello Everyone,

I am Gopa and I work with the AdWords Billing team. Historically, we have seen some confusion among advertisers on how an AdWords account is billed once any promotional credits redeemed in it are exhausted. Therefore, I thought this to be the right platform to talk about this and clarify any doubts that you may have.

As you may already know, there are two ways you could pay for your AdWords account: Automatic, and Manual.

Let me explain how promotional credits work with each of these scenarios:

Automatic payments: If an account is billed through Automatic payments or post pay billing, and a promotional credit has been redeemed, ads would keep on running even after the promotional credit has been exhausted. We may tend to think that ads would automatically stop once the promotional credit has been exhausted. However, this is not the case with accounts on automatic billing. Once the promotional credit is exhausted, ads keep on running and for this, your form of payment (say, the credit card you added to your account) is charged for any further clicks accrued.

For example, if you have redeemed a code for $100 in your AdWords account, your ads would run till this code amount is exhausted and even after that, they would continue to keep on running and accruing clicks till you pause them. Based on your billing cycle in an automatic payment account, your form of payment in the account would be charged for any addtional amount that has been accrued.

If you do not want to accrue charges in excess of the promotional credit then please pause your campaign once the promotional credit is exhausted.

Manual payments: If an account is billed through Manual payments aka prepay billing, then ads would stop running once the promotional credit is exhausted (assuming you haven’t added additional funds in your account). As you know, ads under Manual payments run only as long as there are funds in the account. Once the credit is exhausted, ads stop running till you make another payment towards the account.

For example, if you have redeemed a code for $100 in your account and no other payments have been made, then ads would only run till this $100 is exhausted. Once this amount is exhausted, ads would automatically stop running.

You can also read up on common promotional code issues hereHowever, if you have any questions on this, please also feel free to ask them here and I would be glad to answer them for you.

Do remember folks, that this is an open forum and therefore I wouldn’t be able to answer any account specific questions, as I don’t have an access to your account. For such cases, you are always free to ‘Contact Us’ through our various support channels.

Thanks,

Gopa

The Google AdWords Team

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Gopa talks about promotional credits

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

This is a good review, Gopa.  Thank you!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, Gopa.

Thank you for tackling this issue, as many beginner advertisers were upset in the past when they realized that ads do not stop after the promotional credit was exhausted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Google has recently (more or less) waived the activation fee for new accounts. Am I right? In the past, IIRC, the activation fee was 5 USD for postpay accounts, and 10 USD for prepay accounts. This was the reason, I assume, for which many advertisers, while trying to minimize their costs, went for the lower activation fee, without realizing that this meant that they had to take care of controlling their own costs and stopping their campaigns before the promotional credit ran out.

Now, on the other hand, if there's no activation fee involved, anybody can choose between:

- running the risk of paying out of their own pockets if their costs are higher than the promotional credit (postpay)

- running the risk of seeing their campaigns stop when the funds are over (prepay)

I haven't seen a coupon in quite some time Smiley Happy, but I assume that having such a clear explanation on them would make it pretty clear for everybody how things work in each of these situations.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hello Calin,

Its great to hear that this was helpful. The intention was to clear out promotional credit related doubts and confusion we get from everyone through emails. 

To your question: Yes you are correct, there’s no activation fee required to use AdWords anymore. 

Thanks,

Gopa

The Google AdWords Team

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@AdWiser You should join the Google Engage for Agencies - they´ll give you plenty of voucers, and high-value ones as well Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
CHM
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
CHM
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nice to read about promotional credits.

Gopa: could you please help me out in restoring my account as its not accruing impressions.

My C-ID is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Also appreciate if you could please provide us promotional credit.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 7
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi CHM,

Gopa can't look into your account as this is a public forum. Please contact the AdWords support to further troubleshoot your account. 

As per promotional credits, we don't offer them on the forum. Google and our partners sometimes distribute promotional codes for AdWords advertising. More information can be found in this Help Center article.

Best,

Zee
G+