AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Google still charging me after Google stopped the Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Had 6 emails from Google stating that they had stopped the ad, as the link did not work - it does! - still charged me.

Now waited 6 weeks for a response to my dispute - which was promised in 24 hours.

Have disputed my Amex charges and now had them refunded as Amex did not get a response from Google.

So now getting loads of emails (automatic ones) from Google saying that my account is suspended - again! - and they are looking into the matter 'As a top priority' - so no doubt get a response in a couple of months!

I have never before had the misfortune to deal with such an unprofessional, shambolic organisation as Google who have zero customer care - strong words - but I have been driven to use them!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

What Google Support sends you or says to you supersedes all of us here. The community here is designed to allow peer-to-peer assistance from fellow advertisers and AdWords professionals. We do not have access to accounts, cannot see anything directly related to you, have no way to interact with your account in any way.

Because of this, and for your privacy & security, we cannot help with suspensions or billing issues of any kind. The most we can do is take the information you give and ascertain why so that we can provide an answer based on what we have seen before or what we know from our own experience. We do great with specific questions... and can't do much with critiques, criticisms or complaints against Google or Google AdWords. I do believe this is why your post has not received a reply. Because of your comment in your other post, I am replying to provide you a response even though I know I am not providing what you want, need or would like to hear.

You can open AdWords and click on the gear icon in the upper right hand corner and interact with AdWords Support. Or you can use this interactive form to provide your comments/thoughts/feelings directly to the Google AdWords team. Or you can make posts here in the communities and interact with people like yourself (business professionals, not Google employees)... although I should add that there are community managers (and other Google employees) that oversees what we are all doing. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James

Thanks for the reply. The first I have received from a Google representative in 6 weeks.

As you say, this forum is here so that we business Adwords customers can share our experiences. My experience has been very poor, and I am asking other businesses whether they have experienced the same level of terrible customer service.

As I have also said, I have been driven to exasperation over the lack of response from Google, and it would be good to hear if other Adword users have also been to that point, and how they managed to resolve their issues. 

It is extremely frustrating and disappointing when your supplier of advertising will not talk to you, as I say, you are the first person from Google to respond to me, I am grateful for your response, just a little saddened that I had to get to this point and level of exasperation.

Any other business users have any ideas on how to get Google to talk to their customer?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi David,

You are very welcome. I really do want your experience with AdWords to improve greatly. It's a great advertising platform and one I believe in as an agency owner and user. That is why I spend a fair bit of time here helping where I can. 

From my experience, I can say that 99% of people do find things to be great. There is no perfect score in this world with anything and there are always areas to improve. I do know that Google listens, learns and improves... and that they do care about the user experience with all of their products and services. Customer service is something all businesses suffer with today as it involves the one variable that is hard to consistently maintain... humans.  

With that said, customer service also follows a flow chart or system. And different matters bring about different results and the intended outcome. And this is where your specific account falls into a bit of a slower stream. Why? Well, suspensions have a lot to do with abuse by people that are only looking to mess everything up for everyone else. I do not to say that all suspensions are from this reason, but a lot are and so suspensions require more time to process and work through. Ads being disapproved are faster, for instance. 

No matter what, your are an advertiser with AdWords and your account hit something that caused it to become suspended. You understand it has to do with your landing page URL not working. Of course, you go to your landing page and see that is does... which only adds fuel to your frustration. Google gets your reply and looks again and see it is still blocked for them. You both are seeing something different and you are left frazzled and frustrated. Google is left with their hands tied. And here we are. 

Information is key with this and that is what I want to present. 

Did you know that your website URL must be accessible 24/7/365 from any location in the world? Did you know that many web hosting packages come with managed care where server engineers are adjusting things to best fit their business model? Did you that some country IP addresses are blocked by default? Did you know that some hosting companies are sketchy or spotty with performance? Did you know that some hosting packages have bandwidth limits that kick in and shut down a website in those limits are met? 

Now, with that information we can discuss things a little more. 

Google AdWords' Adbots can crawl a website from anywhere in the world to determine a website's uptime. If it does not land on your ad's landing page... it triggers a review and further suspension of the ads and then the account.

But why?

Well, the quality of the system must be maintained. If a user sees an ad and want to click through, they must land at the webpage they expect. This is where Google must do their job and do it at the cost of a few advertisers... if we so look at it that way. We all need and want Google to do this. We all want and need the integrity upheld.

When an account is suspended from issues, they are often from abusers of the system. Not always, but often. And again, because of this some accounts get caught up in the cross fire (for lack of better words).

You ask how have others resolved their issues?

1) Some never use AdWords again.

2) Some hire Badged Google Partners or other AdWords professionals.

3) Some work through the process and resume on their own.

4) Some end up here seeking advice and learn more from the process of the discussions.

No matter what... a suspended account must go through the process to clear it. That means the very first email that states what is wrong must be dealt with completely.

In your case, I would start by contacting your hosting provider and explaining that you are using Google AdWords and your site must have a 99.99% uptime with unlimited bandwidth. Once you are certain of this, then you should monitor your website with a third party "website uptime monitor." Many services are free and they email you when it goes down. I had a client account years ago with this same issue and even though the website hosting package was unlimited and with a promised 99.99% uptime the monitor proved that the SQL server was randomly turning off and restarting and when it did the website went offline. The server ended up needing to be replaced to resolve the issue. There was lots of time and frustration to get to that conclusion. Everyone was right and insisted it was someone else's fault... yet it was the server's fault. 

As you can image, Google cannot troubleshoot the issue... they can only say what they see. Image if you will that Google loses money when advertisers cannot advertise, so business logic would suggest that they are losing right now by your account not streaming ads. They are not doing this on purpose, they are simply reacting and responding accordingly.

Please consider everything I have said and extract what applies and lets continue through the process. I am here to offer what I can and I really do relate to your feelings and care.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James

Thanks for your reply and I really appreciate your positive assistance. 

My issue is not with whether my Ad should have been suspended, but that once suspended, I was still charged. My view as a qualified lawyer is that by suspending my Ad, Google had changed the terms of my contract and I should no longer be liable for the Ad from the moment of suspension. However, Google still charged me for another 2 weeks. My Ad is suspended, Google still charging me - sounds like fraud!

Compounded to this is the fact that I have used every avenue of communication to resolve the issue and get my account suspension lifted. I have sent numerous emails, done at least 6 chats, and have an extensive audit trail of my attempts to resolve the matter. Fortunately Amex refunded the Google charges, and that woke them up a bit, and I received a flurry of emails from Accounts - I replied to them all - about a week ago - but have had no further response.

It is extremely frustrating, as the only response I get from chats or calls is that it is referred to a 'higher level' and I will get an answer in 24 hours - and then nothing - for 6 weeks. Meanwhile my business is suffering as it is not advertising, so am using Bing - who seem much more responsive.

I feel sorry for you having to deal with Google, and again ask if anyone has found any way of getting a response from a 'Higher level'?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi David,

You are certainly welcome. 

Charges that come after a paused or suspended campaign are generally for the term before things stopped. It takes the system time to stop everything completely as your ads could have been on any number of servers around the world. It does not mean the charge was for that day (when the charged happened) but that the system settled up and then pinged the payment source. Since you have received your refund and have everything stopped, your next step would be the determine why the website is not serving to Google Adbots. If AdWords support looks into your case and still cannot access it, they are not going to proceed and assume your site/business is down. They are not going to contact you and walk you through the issue. There is no special thing to get a response from a higher level. You have to research the suspension issue and resolve it. 

Your only other recourse is to use this interactive form to provide your comments/thoughts/feelings directly to the Google AdWords team. Report the customer service you have received. 

Please know that I have had a great user experience with Alphabet, Google, Adwords, Analytics, etc.. When I encounter issues, I just accept the puzzle and proceed through the journey and I persistently resolve it. It's sorta like taking a case in front of a judge... their is decorum that must be followed to get a favorable result (I grew up in a legal family and have attorney clients). AdWords is much larger than any court system and deals with things for the masses. 

Please do use the complaint form so that Google can hear your position. This will help the system, as a whole, for all.  

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James

Done the complaint form, 4 phone calls, 5 chats and 3 emails. No response.

Received 6 emails over two weeks, telling me that my web page link did not work - but this is not the issue. I was in Cuba with no internet so unable to fix the link. My issue is that in spite of being informed constantly by Google over a period of two weeks, that the Ad is not running - so contract broken - I am still receiving clicks and being charged! - really! In fact one day in the two weeks I received the highest number of clicks ever - but my Ad was not running.

It goes to the very fundamental of how Google operates. They suspended my Ad, and then they say??? that I got good number of clicks and should pay.....whilst my Ad is suspended!!!!! - this is at best fantasy land and at worst fraud.

My question to the forum is: has anyone else experienced this, and in spite of repeated attempts by me to get someone to talk to me, how do I get Google to respond to their customer. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I do understand. 

Can you tell me if you have visited your AdWords account lately to see what the billing tab shows... and what the campaigns tab shows?

I ask this since you absolutely cannot have charges without activity. It sounds like site came back online, ads became active again and performance was completed. If you have not paused your campaigns, they are active. And if they are active, you have account set to incur charges and due by you. 

Also, Google is not obligated to talk to anyone, including me, or you. We are using AdWords and our use does not grant any specific form of interaction. We can stop using AdWords by cancelling our account, or we can pause all campaigns and end performance and end an obligation to pay. If you have not done this, then you are still under your agreement with AdWords to accept ad clicks and pay for them. And if you are receiving clicks, their cannot be fraud. If you feel certain fraud is taking place, then you should most certainly act and do something to stop it. 

I have provided everything possible within this thread. I have given all the ways for you to interact with them (which you have used)... I have provided the reasoning of why your ad's landing page could be blocked to the system (but not to you)... and I have explained everything involved with the processes and systems.

I do hope you find the resolution you are seeking and have a great week.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am sorry, but Google is obligated to talk to their customer if there is a dispute.

First email on the 27th Jan stating my Ad was disapproved and not running, 5 further emails over the following 2 weeks confirming Ad not running. I did nothing to reinstate the Ad. Strange that week ending 6th Feb 31,000 views and 441 clicks. 

I refuse to pay as Google stated Ad not running "Your ad isn't running at the moment because it's disapproved for violating Google's advertising policies". and yet I am still getting clicks and being charged - tried to contact Google every which way - no response from a 'higher level' - are they embarrassed and guilty? - if so, it sounds like fraud to me.

Anyone else experienced this?

I think Google Adwords is based in Ireland, that is the address on their emails. Could someone confirm this and then I can report them to the correct Trading Standards organisation.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi David,

AdWords is located in various places, depending on where you are located. You can use this map/listing to locate the office near you.

All the Best,

James