AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Google ripping me off.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Overall i've had a great experience with google.  We spend - Traffic comes..  I authorize what I want to spend and limits are set.  There's no auto-charge and that's how we're setup.

That was until last week. 

We received an email that said get a $150 adwords credit..  I'm thinking great! We're spending thousands monthly..  Thanks google! wrong -- My adwords admin created an account, submitted a ticket becuase the account wasn't reflecting the $150 credit.  I'm told that they are working on it by the guy handlng it for our company then get an email shortly after that we owe $500 and we've already spent $1200.  HUH????????????  We havn't even set it up yet! -  After more research we found that this BS traffic didn't even generate 1 conversion -- Google has access to the account, they can see that too.

So, what does google say? tough cookies - They offered this gem "old accounts only offer manual payment." That's crap - While I hate losing $1200 to what I would consider a flaw in google's system I am sure we will survive.  However, i'm more certain that there are many out there that can't simply absorb this kind loss.

If this can happen to a seasoned adwords user it can happen to anyone!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike W
September 2015

Re: Google ripping me off.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We didn't make a mistake... Our bank agrees and the funds have been disputed and returned. I recommend that anyone with this issue simply let the bank sort it out.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well...it sounds that you are experienced advertiser with Adwords; 

If you  had traffic (for which you were charged for) with no conversions -meaning  that the campaign was not structured properly; (e.g  keywords were not relevant; ad copy was  not  "tight" enough...and all the other reasons for "clicks that do do not convert") - then; why didn't you review that campaign structure; ad-copy and keywords prior to launching?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I would like to back up what Moshe says; Google has many "taxes" for unwary users. There's a simple and extremely effective way to test a new campaign, and that is to target a city or small state. Whilst it's large enough to get sensible data, any errors in setting it up will be immediately clear - and your mistake's cost you maybe $25.

Once you're getting clicks, and making a profit - then roll it out across the continents.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Gemma and Moshe - I think you guys are off base with your response. Google sets up auto-draw as the default setup... We have other accounts that don't do this... It's a shady practice. You can't simply have a free field day with someone's credit card with no authorization.

If you think this is okay- You are obviously a couple of crackpots.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Did you read the post above? I don't think you did -- **bleep** off Doofus.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike W
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We didn't make a mistake... Our bank agrees and the funds have been disputed and returned. I recommend that anyone with this issue simply let the bank sort it out.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
My apologies for upsetting you; but making mistakes of this kind are extremely easy. That your bank agrees with you that it wasn't your mistake only shows that they had access to information that we did not.

In future, it would be appreciated if you wish to be abusive - please make sure that those you abuse to have the full facts. In this case, that would imply access to your adwords & bank accounts. Somehow I think that's unlikely, so if you were able to see things from where I stand, you'd be a little more contrite.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your posting. However please respect other users and Google employees on this forum as per the Community Posting Guidelines. This is a community of users helping each other with AdWords, and we'd like to keep things fun, friendly, and Googley. Treat the Community and other users as you would like to be treated. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John - You can **bleep** off too.