AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Google ended adword pre-payment with no announcement or notice

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

For anyone not aware which is likely most everyone, because Google has not published any information on this, nor provided any advanced notice, and I question if notice was provided at all. I am told one of my account was emailed on October 23rd, saying the account would be switched to Post Pay billing Effective November 13th, 2014. Despite that all google documents say NEW accounts. This effects existing accounts as well. If you go an update your billing information, address change, card expired, etc. Then Google considers you a new account and you get switched from Pre Pay to Post pay.

To be clear, Google AdWords no longer offers a pre-payment method period!!!!

This is not just for new accounts, that is for existing accounts. Google says this is in the best interest of advertisers, but I do not believe that to be the case. Also ads on one account stopped running because the balance is below the daily budget. That has never caused ads to stop running in the past, but Google says that is why they are not running now. When I believe it was tied to what ever took place on October 23rd, as I did get clicks up to October 21st.

Really amazing Google makes a major switch in how people pay. Completely removing an option that some advertisers used for specific reasons. This is NOT in the best interest of Advertisers and ONLY benefits Google. I find this to be completely unacceptable and its a sign of things to come from Google. With a motto of do no evil, this is hardly an action that is good for anyone other than Google. There is a large gap between doing good, and evil. Is bad considered evil?

Since I get no revenue from my clients sending money to Google via AdWords, which I am very much responsible for. Its only Google's revenue to be had or not. In this case, this account will not go any further. I had plans to increase advertising with Adwords. Now I will look to others for advertising. AdWords did not perform recently for the one pre-payment client account this really effected as it had in the past. I have seen issues with AdSense the front end of the AdWord content network. AdWords seems to be going down the tube... Thus Googles actions only compound things. Upset a adwords account holder that was already not impressed, and now forcing payment methods. No more money from that account going to Google. Smart move on Google's behalf, I am sure they will see revenue increase rather than decrease as a result. As others stop running ads due to being forced to switch from pre-pay to post pay. Not sure this will work in Google's favor as they assume. Might even bring about a lawsuit...

Here is all I could find that covers this topic. But keep in mind, if you update your billing information, Google considers your account to be a new account, not an existing...

How to Pay

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3122375?rd=2

Understanding your billing options

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704418

Manual Payments

https://support.google.com/adwords/express/answer/1387865

Finally the document provided in a link as part of the red alert bar saying to update your account billing information. Just says how, not why you need to....

Re-entering your billing information

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3331471

Of course that last page does not say that when you modify your billing information, Google considers it a new account... Nor does it mention if you are a pre-paid account, when you update billing you will only be able to be post pay as there is no more pre payment anymore, across the board....

Despite no formal documents on google.com, nor anything in adwords, just some email that was sent I never received on October 23rd. I doubt anyone else got emails, and if they did likely just said to update the account billing. Not why they were having to do that. Which the real reason is no more pre-payment, and to accept the new terms and conditions which exclude pre-payment options.

VERY SHADY!!!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google ended adword pre-payment with no announcement or notice

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi there,

Where are you located? What is your AdWords billing currency? 

Thanks, 

Mini

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
United states, the US Dollar.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I setup an account some time ago and was looking for the prepay option that used to be available, only to find out that there is no longer a prepay option.  I didn't think much of it at the time and just thought I will have to keep an eye on it. This turned out to be easier said than done.

I was apparently using both Adwords and Adwords express, which I didn't think was possible but that may be my own dumb mistake.  I remember thinking at the time that I was converting and not setting up a completely new account in a different application.

Long story short I paused what I thought to be my only campaign in order to re-engineer some things on my site and turn it back on at a later date.  Only to find out that I have been accruing charges and didn't find out until my bank sent me an overdraft alert.  This is exactly the type of situation I was looking to avoid with the prepayment option.

I feel as though removing this option is predatory, and having two completely separate adwords is intentionally misleading.  I am furious with Google and will not ever use their adWords product again.  The transaction history also doesn't tell you where the charge originates from so I was unable to find out where these charges were from until I could call their support team - which is only staffed during regular business hours making it hard for people who run sites as a side job.

Also, the daily budget is routinely overcharged.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Why isn't it available in the United States. Google, Inc's very own home country. It's a shame.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.