AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Google Apps Account Changing Billing Country

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to sign up for Google Apps for Work to create a custom domain email for my new blog, but I'm not sure which country to choose, since according to Google's FAQ, the billing country can never be changed, even though the business address, can. https://support.google.com/a/answer/1230674?hl=en

I currently live in Spain, and will for the next two years, but I'm Canadian. If I choose Spain and later move to a different country in the EU or to Canada, and no longer have a Spanish address you can bill to, do I need to create a brand new Google Apps account? This would mean losing Google + data, payment history etc, and if this is the case, I really don't understand why it is.

Please can you confirm I am understanding correctly and explain the reasoning behind this?

Thank you!

Sapna

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Apps Account Changing Billing Country

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sapna S,

As a Google Apps for Work partner, I would suggest you pick the country you are currently in, as that is the best option in your situation. Then, if you do move, you can get help via a local reseller.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Approximately how much do resellers charge to do this? What I don't understand is why it is impossible to change the country on your own. Does Google not think it's feasible that a person (especially a business) can move?!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Sapna S,

I does not costs you anything. Accounts simply need to operate within certain local laws and guidelines and actions vary greatly around the world, hence the need to have a proper process.

Yes, Google does think it is feasible and they provide a solution for such a change. Sorry for your frustration but it will all work out in the long run. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, okay I understand now. It wasn't clear that they provided this service for free; the reseller pages seem to all be companies offering hosting services, etc. It makes sense that they need to comply with international laws. I found a blog post from someone in a similar situation and apparently they can complete the process within 24 hours.
Thanks for clarifying!
Sapna