AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords Overbilling Errors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone consistently overbilled with Google Adwords?  Our account was limited to $500 payments.  No payments were taken until the balance broke 13K. Google said there was an error with our account. I think it is an error with google- since it clearly didn't obey our budget constraints.  This is the second time this has occurred. They are taking zero responsibility. Anyone else have these issues?  Anyone else even want to deal with a company like this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bilbo (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Google Adwords Overbilling Errors

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GoogleDoingHarm,

I should say, that regardless of the hint in your nickname, during my years with AdWords, I have seen many accounts, but NOT a single case of over-billing by Google. Moreover, I have seen many cases where Google has refunded money to clients, due to illegal clicks.

You might be confusing "daily budget" with "monthly budget". On AdWords campaigns you set the daily budget. This can be varied +-20% on a daily basis, but the total monthly bill of a campaign will NOT cross the total of: 30.4 * daily budget. If it does - you will not be charged for the extra costs incurred. (30.4 is the average number of days in a month).

This billing method works for each campaign on the account, whilst, the overall charge is the sum off all charges of all campaigns on the account.

You may read more on the topic in the following help article

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Bilbo (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GoogleDoingHarm,

I should say, that regardless of the hint in your nickname, during my years with AdWords, I have seen many accounts, but NOT a single case of over-billing by Google. Moreover, I have seen many cases where Google has refunded money to clients, due to illegal clicks.

You might be confusing "daily budget" with "monthly budget". On AdWords campaigns you set the daily budget. This can be varied +-20% on a daily basis, but the total monthly bill of a campaign will NOT cross the total of: 30.4 * daily budget. If it does - you will not be charged for the extra costs incurred. (30.4 is the average number of days in a month).

This billing method works for each campaign on the account, whilst, the overall charge is the sum off all charges of all campaigns on the account.

You may read more on the topic in the following help article

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I find it difficult to believe that Google are incapable of ever making a mistake! Smiley Happy  I too believe that my company has been overbilled but I am unable to get any support in spite of a number of requests for assistance. It is not entirely clear to me who to contact in the event of a billing problem! 

Anyway, I am new to Google Adwords and I am running 2 trial campaigns. One is working fine but the data in the other makes no sense to me so I have stopped the campaign. However I would appreciate if if someone at Google Billing gets back to me and can explain the data/costs associated with the problem campaign and refunds/credits the account. I am based in Ireland if that helps identify a local contact.

It's basic Math, the number of click-throughs doesn't match the charges!  It's not the end of the world as the sum involved is miniscule but it is the principle the counts, if Google were to miscalculate each customer by $1 per day, I suspect that it would add up to a tidy sum. Perhaps, it is true and I am the exception to MosheTLV assertions that Google can never make a mistake.  I await enlightenment Smiley Happy

Pat
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Pat
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen someone's overbill at $70,000.00

They just walked away from that acccount