AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Get new tips and £150* when you come back to AdWords (Ends March 5th) - WAS THIS A CON??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I received an email on February 8th stating that if i reactivated my Adwords account and spent £65, I would receive a code worth £150 in an email by March12th.

I logged in and did everything they said, followed the instructions exactly and loaded the account with £66. It is now March 18th and I have received precisely ZIP. It wasn't another Adwords account I used, I only have the one. Also I kept the same campaign and did everything before the cutoff date. I also checked my Spam folder for the email. NOTHING.

What really gets me is that my hobby site has received precisely ZERO orders as a result of this campaign - precisely the reason I left Google Adwords in the first place.

I fed to the teeth of big companies promising these offers and then reneging on the deal, meaning that I have to spend time and money chasing this up.

There's not even an email address I can contact.

FED UP.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Hi Fallen,   I am sorry to hear you have been disappointe...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fallen,

I am sorry to hear you have been disappointed. Unfortunately it's primararily a user-to-user forum and we don't have access to your AdWords account which makes me think you had better use the Contact AdWords button at the top right of this page so you can contact Google directly. Alternatively you could perhaps send an answer to the email address the offer came from.

As for the hobby site getting no orders I'd note that much depends on your AdWords expertise and the particular product or service you're marketing. On top of that, even though AdWords services many thousands of satisfied advertisers I need to acknowledge that not all online businesses are good candidates for advertising via this Google Program. Knowing nothing about your business model leaves me unable to decide which category you fall under.

Best,

Lakatos

Dear Lakatos,   Thank you for your prompt and sympathetic...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Lakatos,

Thank you for your prompt and sympathetic reply. Unfortunately, sending a reply to the email address the offer came from isn't going to get me anywhere, it came from adwords-noreply@google.com

Contact Adwords is a marvellous idea, but do you know how hard it is to wade through all their FAQS before you actually get the option to email them? They keep it greyed out and keep making you search for possible solutions.

What makes me angry is that companies want to make it as hard as possible for you to contact them, so that when things go wrong you are on your own. And Google are as bad as the rest of them.

As for not getting any orders, that isn't exactly what I said. I get orders, but hardly any of them come through Google. Which is why I had let the Adwords run down in the first place, because the money I was spending wasn't generating much of a return.

Companies are happy as Larry to take your money. And it is as easy as pie to speak to a real person when that person works in sales.

Got a problem? Need to talk to someone? Welcome to the world of FAQS and canned email responses and premium rate calls that are terminated after you have racked up half an hour on hold.

As I said, I am FED UP of big companies that fail to deliver. Time and time and time again.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author fallen121
September 2015

Lakatos gave you the location of a button to go to the "d...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Lakatos gave you the location of a button to go to the "direct personal help section" of Google AdWords.

The phone nummer you want is only one click from there.  Phone Numbers  Helpdesk AdWords

They can look in your account and help you.

(and if you would give your URL ( with goo.gl) we could also give it a try.)

Brilliant! I will give it a try.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Brilliant! I will give it a try.

Fallen121,   please let us know how you progress on this....

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Fallen121,

please let us know how you progress on this. Your experience will be valuable for others too.

Cheers,

E

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous

Hi Eric,   The advice I received on here was very sound,...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eric,

The advice I received on here was very sound, because I was able to contact Google by email and received a prompt reply, but I am very upset by the response I got.

First of all, this is what the original email offer stated:

We're inviting you to try AdWords again—with £150* to reactivate your campaign and some tips to get you going. All you have to do is spend £65 with us before March 5th 2012.

Then if you read the T&Cs in detail it said:

To qualify for £150 in ad credit:

1.         Restart an existing ad campaign by following the steps above or create a new one

2.         Spend £65 in your account before March 5th

3.         You will then receive an email by March 12th featuring a unique voucher code and details on how to redeem your £150 AdWords credit

Please note this AdWords credit is only valid for your AdWords account 477xxxxxxx

Now, I read this email, logged in and re-started my existing campaign, and loaded the account with £66 from my credit card. Now, remember, this is money that will all be spent on advertising wih Google, it isn't money which I can or will ever get back.

But it seems I didn't read the T&Cs carefully enough. Apparently you not only have to load your account with at least £65, you actually have to have physically exhaust that money and have actually spent it and had it deducted from your balance by March 5th in order to qualify.

Several things bother me about this. First of all, if loading my account with £65 isn't actually "spending" it then they should have said so. It wasn't like I could load the money up and withdraw it. Google had the benefit of that money. The email SHOULD have been more explicit.

Secondly, I could have set a daily limit sufficient to have exhausted it before March 5th (although I had about 5 days, so that's a pretty hefty spend for a hobby site) but because the only thing I can directly control is the daily limit, I still could have spent less than £65 by the due date, because what I am charged is dependent on things I cannot control, such as how often the customer enters a relevant keyword, how often the advert displays, how often a customer clicks thru to my site etc. It would be very, very easy on these terms for Google to rig it so that no-one ever qualified.

I think on the whole that the email and the T&Cs were vague, misleading and open to interpretation, and that I was probably not the only person taken in by this. I feel Google obtained money by deception. If I could find a way to report Google to Trading Standards for misleading advertising I would do it.

Overall, I feel betrayed by Google. I feel I was decieved. My opinion of them has been poisoned by this. Big companies need to learn that once you lose a customer's trust, it is very VERY hard to win it back. No prizes for guessing that I will NOT be using Adwords again in the near fture.

Google, I can no longer trust you.

The email did state Spend,  but if  the "restart-your-cam...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The email did state Spend,  but if  the "restart-your-campaigns" dm-action leads to these results:

Overall, I feel betrayed by Google. I feel I was decieved.

the marketing department of Google should realy consider to be more clear in their communications.

If Google used the term *spending* it would have been una...

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

If Google used the term *spending* it would have been unambiguous for me. But then there are lots of folks who have less experience with AdWords than myself and I think the letter was typically addressed to them. I agree with you, Guys, that Google should have been more clear in the marketing mail. Unfortunately it's not just Google this new trend has grown pretty global by now. "Overemphasize the benefits and keep a low profile when it comes to disadvantageous or traps." Every one seems to be following this ugly path.

Fallen121 and Others, I will pass the feedback and I know...

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Fallen121 and Others, I will pass the feedback and I know it will be heard. Cant do much about spent milk but improvements will happen.

Cheers,

E

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous