AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Genuine repeat clicks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've heard many differences in opinion and seen no actual clarification from Google about charges on repeat clicks.

I know about the invalid click procedures and the way these are filtered etc but my question is if a user from the same IP clicks my ad, say 4 times in 24 hours if for example they are comparison shopping, am I charged for this activity?

My understanding is that a user can click my ad up to 2 times per impression (if they hit 'back' and click again from a cached search) so I'm wondering if I am charged for all 4 clicks in this example, or just a maximum of 2 if from the same impression, or a maximum of 1 if from a new search on each click.

I've heard something from a representative at Google that I wouldn't be charged more than once for repeat clicks from the same user within a 30 day period, and a 24 hour period from another representative. AdWords has plenty of resources on invalid click activity and also this: 

"

• Return visits: Individuals may click your ad more than once when comparison shopping or returning to your site for more information."

But this doesn't answer my question.

Can anybody clarify this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Genuine repeat clicks

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

cost is per click (likely four, assuming the current example).

multiple clicks may be based on the same impression (e.g. the back-button).

the 30-days and 24-hours likely relate to calculating
conversions, data reporting, and accounting-cycles --
i.e. there would still be four clicks total.

return-visits, the same ip-address, etc., are examples
explicitly related to google pointing out that those
scenarios do *not* necessarily indicate invalid clicks.

invalid clicks are based on a wide range of factors --
especially given today's network topologies and designs
where the same ip-address can be assigned to multiple
people in a short time frame.

of course, google can always be contacted again directly for
clarification or to investigate a specific invalid click incident.

http://www.google.com/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html