AdWords
6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Charge / Payment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi!

Everytime my card doesn't have funds for the automatic payment, ads are suspended and I need to update billing info.

Then, I pay manually the amounts due, and ads get back to normal, and account balance shows as zero.

But then, few hours later, all ads are suspended, and account is being asked for the same amount.

This has been happening for a while lately. Last time, asked for google support and took 15 days to solve.

If my payment is due 500EUR, I pay the amount and they I have to wait 15 days for them to solve, unless pay again 500EUR.

Please let me know how to solve this.

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Duplicate Charge / Payment

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Gonçalo F,

It sounds as if your payment provider is doing something on their end. You should call them and tell them that you do business with Google on a regular basis and that your card needs to clear the charges. 

Next, I would verify billing settings within Adwords. 

1) Log in to Adwords.

2) Click on gear icon in upper right corner.

3) Click Billing.

Now you will see all the main info about debits and credits, which is where payments and charges are charted. If a payment was successful, it will state that is was and show the amount paid in the credits column. If it did not go through, it will list the amount it tried to process but the credit column will be empty. If the credit column is empty, no charge was made against your payment method and you need to resubmit the payment.

Please note that once a payment method has failed, it has to be validated (or fixed) to be used and for your AdWords account to be active again. Your AdWords account will be be active with a failed payment method, even for manual pay.

To Fix your payment method after a failed payment, you need to follow the steps above to visit the billing section of your AdWords account. Next, you need to click on the Billing Settings in the left hand menu.  You will see all of your submitted payment methods and above the failed one will be a red bar with the words Fix It. Click on those words and follow prompts to validate the payment method. You will need to do this every time your payment method is declined. Google payments often trigger fraud protection on credit cards until the bank or institution becomes familiar with you doing business with Google. 

Take a look at your AdWords account and let us know what you see. You can provide a screenshot, if it would be easier. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi !

Everything you mention is very familiar for me. I'm with adwords for more than 10 years....

The problem is on google side, after I submit the manual payment, it keeps trying to charge the automatic payment for the same amount. Ocasionally, I get out of funds and have to clear the payment with other card. When it's only a manual payment, everything goes smooth (done few thousand of those payments) but when happens to be an automatic payment and doesn't go through due temporary unavailable funds, I need to add new card to billing settings to clear that payment. Then, if I do nothing, it doesn't charge the amounts due immediately, I have to wait several days. But if I click on pay the full amount, it processes the payment successfully (money withdrawn from my card), but then few hours later, keeps asking for the same amount. This happened couple of times lately, last time google solved it after few calls and emails, when balance reached -500 after two consecutive payments. They said was a problem on their system that wasn't syncronizing automatic payments vs manual payments. Last time this caused several days without active ads due this problem. Anyone else had this same issue?

And now, it's happening again. You can see the screenshot below to see what I mean.

The payment of 441,83EUR was cleared yesterday, and now its again trying to charge once again automatically. 

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/bx1zvo

Many thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Gonçalo F,

I do see your screenshot and think it is something happening with your payment provider based on my own experience and others, too. 

It seems that Google is processing the payment, the payment method puts the temporary hold on your card, then during the 24 hours it takes to clear it... the card provider cancels the payment and sends the response back to Google. I can say that some card providers do not work well with Google Adwords and I have a few that I cannot get to be used no matter what I do. 

The auto payment is going to happen every thirty days or when your account limit is reached. You could possibly time things on your end to make sure your manual payment is made right around the auto pay, which is within a few days of the same date each month (unless account limit is reached).

I hope this gets resolved soon for you. I would call Google Support right away and inquire further of what is happening. 

I am sorry I cannot provide any further help. Hopefully someone else can provide something more.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So, just a quick follow-up on this. Few days later, after I thought the payment was cleared, it came declined. Then, updated account with another card, waited for the automatic monthly payment and then it was ok.
The only problem now is that I have a hold of 500EUR in my card, the one that was not accepted after few days saying payment processed. I have requested immediate assistance and they say that this hold may take up to 30 days to clear. 500EUR is a lot of money, maybe not for google but for me. Cannot understand why they keep the hold, once payment was cleared with other card.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thank for the update.

You can contact AdWords again in a few days and ask about the status... which may help speed things along.

Kind Regards,

James