AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Disgusted by googles lies and fraud.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have had a terrible time using adwords, total cowboys in my experience.

I signed up, after getting an offer for £75 free if I spent £25.
All well and good, I signed up (and eventually did get the 75) hoping to take it nice and slow, to give me time to test the water and keep the ads running on a very low budget for as long as possible whilst I optimise things.

I got an email from an adwords manager, who offered me (no terms other than within 14 days) a further 75 pounds if i contacted him within 14 days for free help and support with my account.

Obviously I jumped at the chance, this is where it gets nasty.

I agreed a time for him to call, and took time of work (I am self employed) as I knew I would need time at the computer - he never rang.

He rang later that day to say he had been in a meeting, and arranged another time.
Guess what, same again, the cowboy never rang, more time and money wasted waiting for him.

I emailed about the money - that I never got - he lied and said he had done it - which he clearly had not, as the only credit I had was from the original voucher.

He then stopped replying to emails completely even when I asked for a reason why I should not take google to small claims court...

He is still not replying.

Google sent me a customer satisfaction survey, I told the truth, nothing happened.

I complained to google officially, and was told a reply would be forthcoming in 2 working days, never happened.

To top it off they had the nerve to send a totally pointless offer in the post - a 75 pound voucher that had to be used within 14 (of top of head) days from the first ad impression - something they would automatically know was a waste of time sending, but yet they sent it under these circumstances.

Them today, whilst my ads are paused, and still over 6 pounds in credit I get an email saying they are going to take over 18 quid from my bank account.

The mind boggles at the level of stupidity and arrogance from google - its not a good impression, but then again since when has google created a good impression - its always been shoddy and below the belt in my experience but this takes the cake.

Shame on google, its not enough to avoid taxes, they have to try to make life difficult for small businesses - its not like you cannot afford to do a good job - or be honest.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Disgusted by googles lies and fraud.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Almost forgot the adwords manager got me to up the budget to 6 pounds a day, saying that is the minimum they would help me for, fair enough if that had been in the email but it was not, I went for it - but I never got the help, and burned through the budget - meaning I could not learn slowly.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I think it is relevant to mention that Google has 60,000+ full-time employees.

As this is one of the more obvious places to publicly complain, I figure the low number of complaints I see means that Googlers mostly do a good job.

I do agree that if there is a catch to the AdWords credits, like a minimum daily budget, that should be upfront.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
60,000+ full time employees and they are dragging their heels to sort out a very simple issue that is 100 percent their fault. They cannot even reply within say 1 business day with the address of who to serve court papers to, never mind honour their promises.
All those staff, all that money, do no evil - long forgotten it seems.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
To add to this, after warning google that I was contemplating taking them to court, and also giving further warning than any removal of funds from my bank account would be treated as theft and fraud - they have still not replied and yes - they removed money from my account. I also asked for details of who to take to court (name/address etc of the google office responsible) and they are burying their heads in the sand. Total cowboys, who deseve to be taken to court it seems - not only for broken promises, lost business and fraud but also for all associated expenses and compensation for the hasssle and distress. I cannot stress how disgusted I am by how they are behaving, common muggers in the street have treated me with more respect than google have.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Ken,

While your story may of course cause some embarrassment among users who read it I need to emphasize that Google employees are not cowboys. Their vast majority do a great job day by day, no wonder the company ranks high in various corporate rankings.

Still the way you are telling your story leaves me with some bad feeling because I know that when you are planning complex corporate policies and procedures it might sometimes be easy to oversee possible contradictions and /or vicious circles. However, please do not expect us to judge any such particular cases because the story of the other party should also be heard and considered to that end.

All in all, I do hope you are going to have a better experience with AdWords soon.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Google - remember "Do No Evil"!!! Perhaps "Complex Corporate Policies and Procedures" need to be simplified ????

Bottom line is that this Small Business AdWords customer really does not care about Googles complex procedures - going in circles, and failure to call back (repeated basis)

I'm still waiting for a $4015 refund for a slip of the mouse where I left out a decimal point (yep - it should have been $40.15) 11 days and counting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Try disputing it with your bank and see if it helps.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Christi,

I am sorry to hear about the delay in refund. This is a verbatim quote from policy:

"Refunds typically take up to 2 weeks for us to process, but can take up to 10 weeks if you paid by bank account outside Israel, the U.K., or the U.S. In Israel, the U.K., and the U.S., it can still take an additional 10 business days for your bank or credit card company to credit the refund to your account, depending on their own processes. - If you've waited longer than 12 weeks, please contact .... "

You can find the entire policy here:

*** Requesting refunds ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1703646?hl=en&rd=1

Best,
Lakatos