AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Did Your Credit Card Decline? Know What Happened and What To Do Next

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi All,

I’m Simran from the AdWords team, and I'm here today to discuss what makes a credit card decline, and what to do when the same happens.

Firstly I'll touch on the reasons for credit card declines. The most common reason given by banks is that there aren't any funds remaining in the card. However there might be scenarios where you’ll usually see a no reason given against the line item. In these cases, historically, we know that the decline could be due to any of the following reasons (mentioned the most common ones below). 

- If there is a communication error between your bank and processors
- If there is a limit to the maximum amount for a single charge or number of times the card can be charged in a day- Most credit card companies put a limit to protect your card from fraudulent charges. 
- If the card can be billed for international transactions

The other reasons can be found here.

One important thing to note here is that we at Google aren’t able to exactly point out the reason for decline, as Google doesn’t decline any payments. That is why whenever you may have written in to us; you would have noticed that we always request you to contact your bank to know the reason.

So what to do if your card declines?

1. Contact your bank/credit card company to know the reason for decline.
  2. Update the credit card on file once contacted the bank (For automatic payments- once this is done, our system will charge you within 24 hours automatically).

Also do keep in mind that if on automatic payments, always re-enable your credit card, instead of making a manual payment. This is so since making a manual payment may not lead to your ads starting, however a successful re-enabling of the card will definitely reduce the downtime of ads.

Hope this post will help reduce the time your ads go offline due to credit card declines. Remember the 3 step rule: Contact bank > Re-enable card > Ads up and running!

I’m happy to take any questions that you might have about declined credit card issue. Do remember folks, that this is an open forum and therefore I wouldn’t be able to answer any account specific questions. For such cases, you are always free to Contact Us through our various support channels.

Simran
The Google AdWords Team

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Did Your Credit Card Decline? Know What Happened and What To Do Next

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Simran,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us on the Community here!

I would like to make a small point overe here for the no reason given statement which happens most of the times if card is declined etc...Is it possible for Google to change this statement and be little clearer on what the issue could be for payment not accepted?

Doing that could help the advertisers with a hint on what could be the reason behind it, rather than just saying no reason. That's my point of view.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Re: Did Your Credit Card Decline? Know What Happened and What To Do Next

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Simran

I have the same problem to Google accepts my payment by credit card (tried both: Master Card and Visa). it says, "invalid verification code"

I followed all the Google's support recommendations:

- Different browsers, computers
- deleted cache and cookies
- Ask to the bank, they said the CC is ok, last week I used this CC to update my AntiVirus on-line and it worked!
- Also, my partner tried other credit card (from other bank), other computer and other IP and it was refused.

My local Google support already does not answer my messages and we really would like to use your services.

Best regards

Re: Did Your Credit Card Decline? Know What Happened and What To Do Ne

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same problem. Invalid verification code. But the code is valid, I've just used it all week on Amazon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

That's true. Google should clearly mention about this statement. Once I came across this issue and I find that Google will not be able to provide the reason because this is related to once financial personal transactions occurred within the account. For eg. Transaction limit per day, number of financial transactions by internet, no. of transactions to other account, number of transactions to offline payment that binds online payment.

Hence, your statement is correct and Google can find some alternative but as of now I think Google can not access one's account and thus won't be able to provide the reason. When Google said "no reason" means we need to check this at the Bank to get the solution.

Thanks,
Shreya

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is true, I tried 4 different credit and debit cards of 3 different banks, all got rejected for the same reason, invalid verification code, something wrong with google, it's becoming very annoying that that google team doesn't respond since 2012

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree I have tried 2 debit cards today both declined, with no reason. Called bank and they said they dont even see it on their end at all. They said call google. This is upsetting and I tried the google help but the help page does not even match my adwords page , there is NO re-enable link to be found.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is still happening. This is the 2nd time I have tried to sign up for ad words and after all the hassle of getting your account and ad set up they can't process the payment, tried 3 different cards, they sure are losing alot of business. I'm done.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello, I am new to adwords from Pakistan. I am looking to set up adwords account but while making payments / setting billing the debit card isn't going through. It gives the following message:

Your bank or credit institution gave the following details about the decline: No reason provided by your financial institution
Please ensure that your form of payment's details are correct. Then make a payment for your outstanding balance. If the payment is unsuccessful, contact your bank or credit institution to resolve the issue.
i contact bank, bank is everthing is ok?
  please guide me how to fill form?
or where i mistake?
if you have video tutorial, give me link, help me
this same problem at facebook and google,?

Responses are welcomed.
Regards,
Faial Hassan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I had the same issue, once I filled out the credit card info, it would say that the verification code is invalid, i did that on the ipad, iphone and mac (safari) same issue on all three but once I used my Chrome browser it worked at the first try.