AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Daily Budget Question:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of our clients wants to begin their search and display campaigns on the 24th of this month and run them through the end of July. This being said, I understand that while the daily budget might be allowed to go over by 20% daily, over the course of a month, you'll never be charged more than 30.4 times your allotted daily budget. My questions are, then, 1) Does the month begin running the day that you start your campaign or the first date of the month? And 2) How am I supposed to set the budget for 7 days that the campaign is running that are not going to fall within a full month? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Daily Budget Question:

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lindsey, welcome to the Community.

AdWords bills on its own "cycles", not by month dates so if you started on the 24th your billing cycle would start on the 24th.  The situation is further complicated with a new Account - I hope this is their own Account they're using - since billing then is initially by amount, then either/or by cycle.

What you do is going to depend largely upon what the client wants.  If they want to spend a specific sum of money your best bet is probably to set up their Account as pre-paid (Manual).  You can therefore deposit the sum they want to spend and you're assured you won't spend a penny more.  If their objective is to provide good advertising for the period then the precise budget shouldn't be an issue since the advertising itself should be more important than whether they spend $500 or $520.

Can you tell us why they want to run Ads just for this specific period?  There are other issues with running AdWords for such a short time...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon,

Thanks so much for your reply. It was very helpful.

The situation is, essentially that these are political ads. We bill via invoice before actually placing the ads and have to know the exact amount because the people we speak to on the campaigns are only clear to spend that amount, so if we go over, it comes out of our pocket. That's another reason they run for such short periods of time -- issues become stale, etc. Sometimes we'll have one thing to talk about at once, other times two or three, so there are always campaigns starting and ending.

I'm just getting started with advertising, so if you have any suggestions about how to better deal with that, I'd appreciate them very much!

As far as the pre-paid account, that sounds like it would be very helpful to us as it gets extremely stressful trying to keep up with multiple daily budgets running for short periods of time -- would you mind explaining how to set that up? I've never seen an option to do it that way.

Thank you again for your help!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Here is the link about setting up payments :

https://support.google.com/adwords/topic/3119147?rd=3

You can also use automated rules for controlling your budget , please read from here the section

Controlling budgets and cost :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497710?hl=en&ref_topic=1713955