AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Find out more about AdWords billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Clever Collections Request - is this a fake?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We received a notice in the amount of $35 from a collections agency (THE COMMERCIAL COLLECTION CORPORATION OF NEW YORK, INC.). They had our Google Account number and the address for the primary contact (which isn't listed). The letter itself looks highly suspicious.

I called Google AdWords and logged a case number - the representative said we had no amount in arrears. I forwarded it to her for investigation.

I then called the collections company and then after a brief hold, they insisted we owe this money. She said Google will lock us out of our AdWords if we don't pay it. We've never received collection emails from google and they even have a valid form of payment on file for us anyway. The collections company insisted that I would see an amount oustanding if I went into the account.

I've seen a lot of scams but this collections company is even BBB rated! Can someone confirm if Google uses this collection agency? If it is a scam, this is REALLY well done.

Clever Collections Request - is this a fake?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey 

This one is likely a scam. Google does use collection agencies, but if you contacted a Google representative with the Google Account number that the collections agency is saying owes money, and they confirmed that you don't owe any amount, then you don't.

I have had clients get emails from "THE COMMERCIAL COLLECTION CORPORATION OF NEW YORK, INC." and they have been legit, but usually I do verify it through a google rep first.

Here is an example of an email i had verified through a google support member.

July 21, 2016

G___ T_____
Editing Out for Privacy.
Bogart, GA  30622

Our #______

Re: Google Inc.
Balance $96.06

Dear Customer,

Your Google Account id#_______________ has been placed with our company for collections due to delinquent amounts owed in the total of $96.06.  

In order for you to maintain your ongoing relationship with Google and use of your Adwords account, you MUST resolve this balance. If you wish, you may log on to your Adwords account, access your invoices under the Billing Summary tab, and resolve the balance by using the following link:

http://www.google.com/adwords/

Once payment has been made, respond to this E-mail or call me at 800-873-5212 to advise the payment has been made.

Alternatively, you may contact me at 800-873-5212 to discuss payment.

Respectfully,

Trevor Hughes
Account Executive

THE COMMERCIAL COLLECTION CORPORATION OF NEW YORK, INC.

FOR CONSUMERS ONLY:

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT. ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

UNLESS YOU NOTIFY THIS OFFICE WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER RECEIVING THIS NOTICE THAT YOU DISPUTE THE VALIDITY OF THE DEBT OR ANY PORTION THEREOF, THIS OFFICE WILL ASSUME THE DEBT IS VALID. IF YOU NOTIFY THIS OFFICE IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS FROM RECEIVING THIS NOTICE, THIS OFFICE WILL: OBTAIN VERIFICATION OF THE DEBT OR OBTAIN A COPY OF A JUDGMENT OR VERIFICATION. IF YOU REQUEST IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER RECEIVING THIS NOTICE, THIS OFFICE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR, IF DIFFERENT FROM THE CURRENT CREDITOR.