AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Charging for wrong keywords and showing ad on wrong search term

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We are running an ad for only one keyword 'performance review' but the ad is shown for 'appraisal sample' and we got clicks on it. We have got charged for the keywords which are not any of the match types defined by Google. Broad match, broad match modifier, phrase match modifier, exact match not even in negative match. 

ad1.png

Please help... I know Google wouldn't refund our money but this is really serious. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Google A
March 2016

Re: Charging for wrong keywords and showing ad on wrong search term

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

This is likely to not be the case, you will likely just find that your ad was clicked in the other countries. Remember Google does not show you all the search terms that your ad showed for.

At the bottom of every Search Term Report there is a row for 'other' these are all the search terms that you showed and ad for but you can not see the specific search term.

It is very likely that this 'other' section in the US campaign has many examples of what you are seeing in Singapore.

The other thing to consider is volume, Singapore may have much less volume for 'performance review' and so Google looks for related searches in order to meet your budget, whereas in the US it does not have to be so loose to find search terms within your budget. This is theoretical though as I have not actually tested it.

Match typing really depends on a number of things. Personally I prefer Modified Broad & Exact, I hardly ever use phrase (except as negatives) as I believe that Modified Broad does a good enough job of catching the relevant search terms without me imposing a belief on how users are searching.

If you use phrase you will never show for someone who types in "review performance".

Using Modified broad, does require you to be vigilant with negatives and to extrapolate from the negatives that you do find (add plurals or other related terms that could be triggering your ad).

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Can you tell what is your current keyword match type and keyword?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

The reason for this is that your keyword is set to broad match. The above search term is a broad match of performance review. You need to change to Modified Broad Match if you would like to prevent your ads from showing for those terms.

Performance reviews/evaluations/appraisals are all synonyms/related searches and closely enough related that they will show for broad match terms.

See link below for a better understanding:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828

Good Luck

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Check If you have set your keyword match type as a broad match. Try running them in exact match if you want to show your ads only on that specific keywords.

[performance review]

Robin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Clynton,

I understand that but how can it be true for same keyword with different countries. We had broad match type for a campaign running for US and other for Singapore, the campaign for US didn't pick any irrelevant keyword but campaign for Singapore did. Same keyword but shown for different search terms in different countries.

And, would phrase match be a better option than broad match modifier?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Google A
March 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

This is likely to not be the case, you will likely just find that your ad was clicked in the other countries. Remember Google does not show you all the search terms that your ad showed for.

At the bottom of every Search Term Report there is a row for 'other' these are all the search terms that you showed and ad for but you can not see the specific search term.

It is very likely that this 'other' section in the US campaign has many examples of what you are seeing in Singapore.

The other thing to consider is volume, Singapore may have much less volume for 'performance review' and so Google looks for related searches in order to meet your budget, whereas in the US it does not have to be so loose to find search terms within your budget. This is theoretical though as I have not actually tested it.

Match typing really depends on a number of things. Personally I prefer Modified Broad & Exact, I hardly ever use phrase (except as negatives) as I believe that Modified Broad does a good enough job of catching the relevant search terms without me imposing a belief on how users are searching.

If you use phrase you will never show for someone who types in "review performance".

Using Modified broad, does require you to be vigilant with negatives and to extrapolate from the negatives that you do find (add plurals or other related terms that could be triggering your ad).