AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Find out more about Google Ads billing options, forms of payment, and promotional codes
Guide Me
star_border

Charge on statement when I joined today?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have just set up my first campaign today. I have already received a charge on my bank statement for google adwords. Is this normal? The charge on my statement does not match my google adwords ID for my account. I thought you were supposed to be billed after your campaign ends? If anyone could advise that would be great, thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August 2016

Re: Charge on statement when I joined today?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Rebecca M,

There are two types of payment options for AdWords, Auto Pay and Manual Pay. Usually, you can switch between the two but that also depends on the country you are in. Please view this Google Help File to learn more. 

When AdWords is first set up, Google can (and most often does) make a charge against the payment option to verify it is valid and able to be charged. Then it will revert to a normal billing cycle.

Your account comes with an absolute billing cycle and cap, which varies per account. You can see what your billing cycle and maximum cap is, along with any credits or debits assigned to your account by visiting your billing section of AdWords. If you reach your cap, your payment is charged at that point... or it will at the end of your billing cycle, which should be 30 days from start... and every 30 days thereafter (or when you reach your cap, whichever comes first).  

1) Log in to Adwords.

2) Click on gear icon in upper right corner.

3) Click Billing.

Now you will see all the main info about debits and credits, which is where payments and charges are charted. If a payment was successful, it will state that is was and show the amount paid in the credits column.

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
August 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Rebecca M,

There are two types of payment options for AdWords, Auto Pay and Manual Pay. Usually, you can switch between the two but that also depends on the country you are in. Please view this Google Help File to learn more. 

When AdWords is first set up, Google can (and most often does) make a charge against the payment option to verify it is valid and able to be charged. Then it will revert to a normal billing cycle.

Your account comes with an absolute billing cycle and cap, which varies per account. You can see what your billing cycle and maximum cap is, along with any credits or debits assigned to your account by visiting your billing section of AdWords. If you reach your cap, your payment is charged at that point... or it will at the end of your billing cycle, which should be 30 days from start... and every 30 days thereafter (or when you reach your cap, whichever comes first).  

1) Log in to Adwords.

2) Click on gear icon in upper right corner.

3) Click Billing.

Now you will see all the main info about debits and credits, which is where payments and charges are charted. If a payment was successful, it will state that is was and show the amount paid in the credits column.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James

many thanks for such a detailed response. The only thing I am still having trouble with is finding a cap on my payments in the billing section. When I go to my billing section they are only 3 links to choose from in the top left corner: transaction history, billing settings and billing profile. I cannot see anywhere within these sections to put a cap on my spending?

Thanks again

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Rebecca M,

You are very welcome. 

If you go to billing section / transaction history, you will see three boxes across the top (above the credits & debits columns). The center box has your assigned cap by Google and you can predict your auto pay cycle by estimating 30 days from your start / first charge. The cap is by Google... you, the advertiser controls spending (caps it) by assigning a daily spend to your campaign. 

Please let us know if this helps... and if you need further assistance. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again for your quick response! I think my box indicates i have a monthly cap of £50, would that be right? I can't see a way to decrease that though but it's ok. Can I just ask one more question...will the charge deducted on my account today to check it was a genuine payment option be used to cover costs for my ad or will it be refunded?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Rebecca M,

You are certainly welcome. 

Yes, that is your current cap. Once you use the account regularly, Google, at their will, can adjust it to best fit your usage. This is your first charge and it will remain to be used for your ads. It was done to validate your payment option and setup your account for general use. You are now ready to optimize your ads / campaigns and build your company online. This Google Help File should be put to use.

Please enjoy AdWords and let us know if you need further help. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks for your help and advice! Great service, thank you!